Quantcast

New 29g tank, plumbing and pics.

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
I bought a 29g from Rico on here that has the drain already drilled and fitted with a bulkhead. I've got my return all plumbed, and I'm working on the drain now.

The bulkhead's threaded end is 1 1/4", but 1 1/4" threaded PVC does not thread onto it. It's about 1mm larger than the PVC. I've already figure out a way to connect the plumbing using a flex collar, some 1 1/4 and a 90 degree elbow but what is the right way to do it? I just want a 90 degree elbow after the bulkhead so I can plumb 1 1/4 down to the sump.

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
Bleh, never found an answer but this is what I came up with if anyone comes across this later while searching:

It's not nearly as tight to the tank as I thought would be acceptable, but once it's up against the wall it is actually not a big deal. The tank is plumbed and water tested, I've even got it running saltwater now. Just used a flex connector and PVC, good and solid.

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
I haven't taken pics of it set up yet, it has water and cc gravel in it, I'll take some shots soon and post them.

I'm using a 10g glass for the sump, which was a mighty big pain to fit into that stand. It was just wide enough, but not long enough, so I had to knock out a board (and reinstall it) to get the sump in. It's not coming out while the tank is running.

Gordo, no they wouldn't, not even if forced. The bulkhead's OD was 33mm and the PVC's ID is 32mm (1.25") I could not find an elbow that would thread on. I could have put threads in a slip fitting, but I didn't want to deal with that since this will work and was the quickest/obvious solution.

I'm going to go finish bringing the salinity up now, should be ready to cycle this weekend.

Gordo

Looks nice. Looking at you pictures I don't see a vacuum break or a check valve on you return line. If you don't have one then all the water will drain out of your tank via the return line if you loose power or your return pump fails.

~Gordo~

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
Thanks for pointing that out. I do have a vacuum break, you just can't see it is all. It's exactly at the water line to keep it from jetting water and making noise. Works like a charm.

I'd like to get some kind of mechanical filtration soon, but otherwise, once it's cycled it will be ready to go.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts