Quantcast

New 30 Gallon Bow

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

H20doctor

MMMM Tasty Children
Well a year later after the 100 gallon break down party I have decided to set up a smaller reef. After spending only $600.00 on a 30 gal. I am back in the game. I set it up last last week, and I am in the break in cycle. I will hunt all of you down for frags, and there are alot of you.

Elmo18

Clownfish
HEEEY Chris!!

Nice tank there. We all knew you would set another one up :) When things settle, I have some frags for you!

Will you tape a backing on the aquarium or leave it clear?

- Elmo

H20doctor

MMMM Tasty Children
:badgrin: Hey elmo my man!!!!! WHATS UP..... havent seen you since you came over to my house and I saw your set up on 76th ST. I am going to hook up my 70 wt USHIO 10000k this week and add some brightness to the reef.
Question
1 How many inches should I have the MH off the water ??? 8 to 10
2 How much evaporation do you think I am going to have once I turn these bad boys on ??

BCT182

On my 20g long, I have a 175w about 6 inches above the waters surface, and about a little less than one gallon evaporation daily.
Brett

Elmo18

Clownfish
I'd say mount them 7-8 inches off the water surface.

You should get less than 1/2 gallon evap a day, probably closer to 1/4 of gallon since it is a 70 W Halide, and not a 175/250, etc.

Tank is lookin good, though. Are you thinking of doing an external overflow and using a sump?

I will have frags for ya when everything is ready.

- Elmo

H20doctor

MMMM Tasty Children
a gallona day, wow thats alot of evap. I am going to either run 1 bulb or 2??? Dont you think that is a lot of light for a 30 gallon? I am not running a sump or an over flow. I am runing a Haggen Aqua Clear filter only using a sponge filter in it. I am doing a berlin tank live rock only. Oh and another question skimmer or no skimmer??? I am thinking about NOT running a skimmer

BCT182

I think a skimmer is very useful as long as you keep it clean. When left untouched they build of nitrates. Green slime junk.

Elmo18

Clownfish
Chris my current tank is only a 26-27 gallon tank. I am running a 250W 10k MH and I am not having heat problems. I do not run a chiller. I do, however, run DIY PC fans from the back of the hood, out to the front. Keeps tank temp steady at about 79-81. The fans go on when halide goes on, and turns off when the halide is off.

You should not have heat problems for your setup, especially since you will be running a pendant over an open tank.

Keep us updated.

- Elmo

H20doctor

MMMM Tasty Children
Ok here is my DIY light set up. I just frankenstein this last night and it works perfect. I gutted a lowes $9.00 outdoor Porch flood, and retro fitted my End caps and bulb.

Katchupoy

Hey Chris, WELCOME BACK!!!!..

When youre ready... let me know... maybe we can grab some coral here and there to seed your tank...

H20doctor

MMMM Tasty Children
Yes that sounds great, Do you still have any of my stock from last year ??? Green Tree, or any of the SPS that were in my reef ???

H20doctor

MMMM Tasty Children
Ok everybody, the lights are done and running!!!!!! Sweeeeeeeeetttttt :)
I am running the HID lights on a 10 hour cycle and the 30 watt. Actinic for 8 hrs. The hood cost me about $55.00 to build. Also there is really no heat coming off of the metal H. my tank only goes up about a deg. when they run.

H20doctor

MMMM Tasty Children
UPDATE .... UPDATE>>>> well it will be a years since I set this sucker up and here are some pics.... this is the growth on my orange monti. notice the color change, the frag went from 20k 250wat, to 10K 75watts, pretty interesting. Also i have no reactor, I just add raw calcium chloride to my reef and tech I.

Last edited:

H20doctor

MMMM Tasty Children
thanks, I will post some full tank shots in a couple of days to show the tank, and how it is out of control with algae, its really impressive.!!!!

H20doctor

MMMM Tasty Children
Tank Update 2/10/06

Well its been 6 months since I changed the water and nothing more than tech I, some Reef plus, and Tech M. I shut down the skimmer a long time ago. I have taken some pics...... I will say I am very impressed by the different types of algae I have growing, lots of macro algae, and all kinds of cool stuff. I think its really cool that my tank looks like this because its really healthy and there is deep coraline algae on the rock....

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts