Quantcast

New 450 gallon SPS tank

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

acropora

I have recently started a new 450 gallon set up and I would like to share some pictures. The tank is a glass tank measuring L96"xW 36"xH 30" with two corner overflow boxes. It weighed in around 1200+ pounds and took 12 people to safely carry it in.I used sections of PVC to roll the tank closer to the doorway.Here is a couple of tank move pictures......

acropora

Here it is after three months.
It currently is lit by only two 250 watt 12000K
Coralvue bulbs for the break in period.
I will soon be switching over to 5 x 400 watt bulbs.

acropora

The tank is on a slab and I used flex PVC
to work my way over and down to
the sump in the basement.
I plan on adding some lighting for the fuge today.

Last edited:

acropora

Thanks guys:) Kevin that is a dual beckett with an 8'' diameter riser and it is a My Reef Creations protein skimmer.I do carry and recommend the skimmer. The tank on the other hand is from Inter America,also known as Bow valley aquarium and I do not recommend them.That is another story,but if you are interested shoot me an E mail.
Regards

acropora

wooddood,esmith

Thank you.....
Kevin, Yea, I was one of the ones who learned the hard way with Mitch. However , it is water under the bridge.I'll keep this post on an upbeat note.:)

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Anthony that is going to be one unreal system. Make sure you keep the pictures coming I cant wait to see this tank get filled up. Congrates Anthony.

Mike

acropora

mojoreef,Montanarocknreefer
Thank you........
I also am anxious to get the 400 watters running. I have two 10-12" Derasa clams that have been living in my sump, that are more then ready to go in. I am going with five halides across the length of the tank,1,2,3,4,5. I will first have #1,#3 and #5 come on since the light spread does light the entire tank. That will be followed by #2 and #4 for a full noon blast. I will supplement with t-5 actinics.Thanks again, I will post pictures as they become available.

acropora

Erik, I don't have any pictures of the plumbing at the moment.I used 2" flex PVC from each overflow box with 2" B.H.s and a Durso standpipe in each overflow.I ran the lines out the side of the stand and I boxed them off with lumber to form a small seat adjacent to the stand.From this seat the plumbing goes into the wall down into my sump.I had to do this since the tank is on a slab. I used two salt buckets to catch the overflow and help disapate the bubbles caused by the long drop into the sump. I ran a 1 1/2" Flex PVC line from a Sequence pump back up the same way.When it reached the tank I plumbed in a PVC tee into two returns through the overflow boxes.You can see some of this in the picture of the sump room above. I still have to plumb a chiller and I will eventually add a Nilsen reactor when the tank is fully stocked.

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
That works just as well as a picture for me, thanks for the desription. The equipment aspect of reefs always interest me. I think I may be more in love with setting up tanks than watching them.

-Erik

acropora

Macbeth417 said:
That works just as well as a picture for me, thanks for the desription. The equipment aspect of reefs always interest me. I think I may be more in love with setting up tanks than watching them.

-Erik
Your not alone. I can thank my interest in Aquariums for getting me started with all aspects of construction,including Plumbing,Electrical wiring and carpentry.:)

NaH2O

WOW!!! That is an amazing tank! I'll keep an eye out for your updated pics!!

Maxx

Staff Housemonkey
Wow, awesome tank.......cant wait to see how it grows and matures....
Nick

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.