Quantcast

New Clam

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

TDEVIL

cool i love clams, cant really tell by the pic what kind is it, it almost looks like my crocea, but not sure;)

TD

DonW

R.I.P.
Hopefully he will do ok. Over the last few days he has leaned himself sideways. I havent figured out if he's just settling in or trying to get away from the water flow. Do you think I should put a rock under him instead of just sand?

Don

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Don Croceas are a boring clam. They will actually bore a hole in a rock. I would place a rock under him and then spread the sand over the rock.

Mike

TDEVIL

DonW said:
Hopefully he will do ok. Over the last few days he has leaned himself sideways. I havent figured out if he's just settling in or trying to get away from the water flow. Do you think I should put a rock under him instead of just sand?

Don
as mojo, said they are a boring clam, and are one of the more light demanding of the clams
one thing that i have noticed with mine is that it doesnt like a lot of flow, it didnt like the flow where i had it during the light accl, i moved it to a lower flow area and it is doing fine

here is a pic, if you dont mind;), of mine where i had it, it moved its self around because of the flow

TD

SueT

TD's right on that crocea clams are the most lighting needy of the clams we keep. They like to settle in to a place either on a rock or a clam half shell, like I keep mine in. You almost can't give a crocea too much light. Flow they don't like where it's more than enough to ruffle their mantle.

If your clam continues to fall over or lean you might try placing it on a small rock and I would consider moving the clam up into more light after acclimation.

MtnDewMan

Hey Sue ... Nice to see you here :)

I have had great success with clams that want to lean. Seems they sometimes will lean enough to get light, but if they want to right themselves then that can be a problem.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.