Quantcast

New IA detrivore kit....

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

cdeakle

I recently got an order from Inland Aquatics, Detrivore kit and an extra mysis/grammarus kit. They also sent me a couple of micro stars.

Since I got this kit to seed my refugium and to help my mandarin wouldn't adding the stars along for the ride work against my plans? I believe that for the most part stars readily consume pods which is NOT what I want (Mandarin).

Should I give these guys away locally? Should I keep them? Should I add them to the tank instead of the fuge with the rest of the pod kit? Do they eat pods?

I also recieved:

Peppermint snails (+4)
Stomatella Varia (+2)

Should I add these guys to my newly established refugium or to the main tank?

Thanks for any input....

kevinpo

Expert
The micro brittle stars I've had (the white and the black and white srtriped ones) are algae and detritus eaters. As are the thick leg stars that have what looks like legs missing.
You can put both the snails in your main tank. They will soon end up in your refugium as they multiply.

Regards,
Kevin

NaH2O

I agree with Kevin. Stomatella are awesome to watch at night....they go crazy with their cleaning!

MCSInc

Reef Enthusiast
Question for KevinPo

I ran down last night and traded cdeakle some rubble & pods for his micro stars last night. So the question is they are not micro brittle stars but the short fat often lopsided stars. I read really quick and it looked like I was getting a bad report from GARF. I went ahead and put them in the fuge. Are they safe for my corals or not. I am confused and still learning. Most of my SPS are in the 30 gal still. So no where near these new stars until I figure this out.

Nice tank Chris - LOVE that blastomossa.

kevinpo

Expert
They are quite safe. There is a star that looks very similar that is not safe but they are rare. Place a coral in the sump with the star and see if it begins to eat the base. It will stay right on the coral eating the base if it is the type that eats corals. I doubt very much that it is the coral eating type. Here is a picture of the good type star.

Regards,
Kevin

MCSInc

Reef Enthusiast
Thank you

Kevin,

Thank you for the clarification. I will do as you suggested as a test. The picture is an exact match. They are very cute.

MCSInc

Reef Enthusiast
Yes

Jud took me for my birthday in Feb. and we waited extra time to get the table in front of the tank. Wow their sand is ALIVE. Food was awesome too.

Ray Pollett

Re: Yes

MCSInc said:
Jud took me for my birthday in Feb. and we waited extra time to get the table in front of the tank. Wow their sand is ALIVE. Food was awesome too.
Yes thye CC was alive. But someone put a piece of metal in the tank. It looked like tin and copper. I was not even sure if the anemone was going to make it for a few weeks.

I'm there almost every thursday. I do the tanks and then stay for lunch when they open at 11:30.

Ray

MCSInc

Reef Enthusiast
Some People!!!

It is amazing that people would do something like that. I hope that all survived and are back to good health. You do a nice job on the tank. We really enjoyed watching it while we ate.

If you have extra time one day stop in and look our tanks over. We are new enough and will listen to any suggestions. MCSInc is on the East end of Cook Rd. right before the light. Just look for the Halide glow - it has attracted a few salt water enthusiast. I am not there until after 5:30 but someone is always there.

Ray Pollett

Re: Some People!!!

MCSInc said:
It is amazing that people would do something like that. I hope that all survived and are back to good health. You do a nice job on the tank. We really enjoyed watching it while we ate.

If you have extra time one day stop in and look our tanks over. We are new enough and will listen to any suggestions. MCSInc is on the East end of Cook Rd. right before the light.

Forgive me. I thought the cook road ended by the shopping center and used car lot. Can you give me a house #. I may be able to stop in this thrusday, But it would be around1 to 1:30

Just look for the Halide glow - it has attracted a few salt water enthusiast. I am not there until after 5:30 but someone is always there.
Thanks Ray

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts