New Lights Colors Washed Out

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Willy

Since I have installed my 14K 250w phoenix bulbs I cant seem to get a good pic of anything, regardless of settings. Everything looks washed out. Any suggestions on how to get a decent pic with these bulbs?

Krish

RF STAFF
Since I have installed my 14K 250w phoenix bulbs I cant seem to get a good pic of anything, regardless of settings. Everything looks washed out. Any suggestions on who to get a decent pic with these bulbs?

Bummer...I'm still trying to figure out mine. Sherman and Tom seem to be very good with the camera, and also, photoshop I hear, is a great program to get things right. Hope you get it sorted out man...:)

Sherman

Has Met Willis
Woah, missed this one. Pheonix's 14K actually runs well past 20K on the spectrum (I got to hear Sanjay Joshi speak recently), so the Phoenix is a very blue light. I don't know of any digital camera that can white balance beyond 10000K, so you're out of luck there.

Typically, what I'll do is make it up in Photoshop, as mentioned. My tank is lit with 14K Pheonix, also, so you can see what I'm dealing with in my photos (Thread called "The Sherman Tank"). I start with purposely underexposing the shot with a -2/3EV, with the intent of making up this brightness definciency later. Then I'll bring the photo into Photoshop, and try an Auto Levels (shift-ctrl-L). Next, I go into Levels (ctrl-L) and adjust the channels until the color looks better. Typically, I'll bump up the RGB channel, which effects total brightness. Then, I'll play with the blue and red channels, though never touching the green channel.

NaH2O

Sherman - wouldn't doing a custom white balance correct it? For some reason I thouht customizing white balance fixed the issues with the bulb color.

Sherman

Has Met Willis
Nikki, not in this case. That's where I was referring to cameras only being able to WB up to 10000K, but no further. When I shoot, I custom WB the camera as high as it goes, then I have to make the rest up in Photoshop.

Willy

Thnaks Sherman, underexposing is exactly what I am doing. And you are right about the white balance it just doesnt make up for the 14k bulbs no matter what setting..

thanks for the responses

Blazer88

Maybe you are overexposing the shot? Trying setting your E/V to -1 or more and see what the results are. I have to set mine to -1 or my shots come out way too bright and washed out. I shot with my Hami 14,000K and my white balance comes out fine, so I can't help you out there.

Willy

Ive been experimenting with setting the EV to -0.3 through -0.9. The pic is dark but not as washed out as before

Blazer88

I normally use Photoshop to adjust the slightly darker image if I need to. Another good thing about a lower E/V is the shutter speed faster making it easier to get a crisper picture. Post up some pictures so we can see how they are coming out for you.

Willy

Here are some unedited pics

EV -0.9
Aperture F8
White Balance Shade Setting (not sure what the actual setting is)

Willy

some more pics that turned out decent. the 1st pic is unedited and the 2nd is cropped and color corrected. Im getting close, but in oreder to get a decent pic on the first one I had to diffuies the light with 3 layers of eggcrate and go with a -0.6 EV setting might have been more on the EV cant remember. anyway, enjoy

Latest posts