Quantcast

New Setup Question

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

MINIATUS

The more I read the more I hope to eliminate the sand bed.
Question is this. I have a new tank comming to replace my AGA 90 gal tank. This one is going with two overflows at the back wall instead of the corners. How would you go about setting it up without going thru a major cycle again. Since my rock is well aged will this still have die off when it is installed in the new tank. Should I use the old water or make a new batch for the tank.
Do I set the new tank up and add the live rock then or wait a day. What about my corals will they be ok in a tub for the next few days and fish, shrimp stars what is the best way to deal with them during the switch over. Also since the bottom will not have sand to reflect the light back up how do you deal with this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MINIATUS:confused:

reedman

I'd set up the new tank and use as much water from the old one as possible. Fill the rest with new water. Use all of your rock in the new tank. As long as you aren't adding all new water and uncured rock, I wouldn't expect too much of a cycle. Possible a minicycle, but nothing big.

Your livestock should do fine in a tub with circulation and heat. Make sure to have a good powerhead and heater in each tub and check them for chemical warfare occationaly.

You could paint the bottom of the tank white. You could put some white foam under the tank. There are a lot of options to get the light to reflect. Truth is it will reflect off of bare glass too, just not as well.

-Reed

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Reed pretty much has it right. Maybe I can do a little more detail for ya Min.

You do want to re use the water. split the water in half, using half to house the corals and stuff and the othe in containers waiting for the new setup. add what ever new water you may use to both halves, that way its a mix in both. when seting up the coral temp. containers make sure to put some live rock in every bucket that is going tohave fish or corals in it. this will allow for good filtration for them, other then that just a heater and a ph should do the trick.
If you have a dsb right now and are not gong to use it again remember not to disturb it while removing rocks, corals and/or stuff. drain the water until its just about an ich or so over the sand (if you goof up and disturb the bed and it goes into the water, burn the water and dont use the balnce left. Whe resetting the tank add som of the new/old water from the buckes you made (the buckets with out the LR and stuff) add enough to set the first rown of rock work up then add the first row. continue to do this until the tank is full of water and your LR, from thier your fish and corals should be fine to throw in.

Good luck buddy and let us know if you have any more questions.

mike

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts