Quantcast

New sps for my tank

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

The Apprentice

I just picked this up and wanted to know if any other members have had any experiance with Lace Stick Coral, Purple/Blue I have also attached a couple of shots of it. Any tips on it would be greatly apperciated...Jeff :D

kevinpo

Expert
It is a non photosynthetic coral better left in the ocean IMO. It will get covered by algae easily. They have white polyps that come out to feed. You might try to target feed it some zooplankton. I've never seen one kept long term in a home aquarium.

HTH,
Kevin

NaH2O

Great info, Kevin.

Jeff,

According to "Aquarium Corals" by Borneman

Captive Care:
In captivity, Stylaster have a very poor record of survival, though unskimmed, Jaubert, and algal-turf-scrubber-style tanks may have a higher likelihood of supporting their needs. It is likely that these corals fail to thrive due to dietary insufficiencies. They need a steady, moderate current and are most natural-looking in dimly lit conditions, though exposure to light is not likely to be harmful. Ultraviolet bleaching of their skeletal pigments may be likely in an exposed location. Laminar currents and regular feeding with natural or substitute plankton is likely to be required in order to achieve success with these hydrocorals.

The Apprentice

Thanks to Both Kevin & Nikki

Well i do have it in a lower light area and when i feed my clams with live Dts I can also distribute some on this coral as well :confused:
This is why we need a Saltwater fish/reef store in the Tri-cities :evil:
The local boys keep selling the bad stuff :evil: :evil:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts