Quantcast

New sump/fuge

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

snobanker

Hey all,

Well for my Bday my wife bought me an acrylic sump/fuge made by IAP :D She had seen me checking it out before so she knew I wanted one and bought it. I was actually planning to build my own, but now I don't have to .....cool. So now that I have that I need to add an overflow box to my 55 since it's not drilled. I was going to get one of the CPR weir box type, as I understand they are more reliable than the u tube type. I just don't know what size I need as far as gph. I assume I could get say an 800 gph and put a ball valve on the pipe to slow the flow, but I don't know how big I should actually get. Then I also assume I need to size a return pump to the overflow, taking into account the head loss. I was leaning toward one of the mag pumps. Any ideas, input, thoughts, personal experiences, insults, defaming comments, criticisms?? lol :D ...all are welcome

Illusion

I would actually recommend the CPR cs90 flow rate is about 600gph and I have pushed it to about 700gph.. In my 55g I went a bit extreme and have about 1100gph flowing thru from my sump into the tank... My cpr worked great while I had it just make sure you get the Aqualifter pump to go along with it... And what do you know.. I actually have my old one for sale on Ebay LOL... It worked great in my 55g tank but I upgraded from a mag 9.5 to a Mak4 external and it couldnt handle the 1100gph LOL so I had a custom U-tube overflow made and have no use for the Old CPR... I wish my u-tube was a Cpr as I really like it but ohwell..

Here is the link to the Ebay item if your interested..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4321381808&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

James

Illusion

I was.. I had to drop the flow a bit and the cs90 wasnt surface skimming all that well but yes... I think after all the elbows and such I was probably right around 700gph going thru it... Mag 7 when i was using that worked Very awesome though..

James

snobanker

LOL Trevor, You know it. Actually though. She is all for getting a new 180 g. We have just decided to do a few other things around the house first so I am improving my current set up for now since it may be awhile. Her words were "why don't you put the 55 in your office and the 180 in the family room?"....:D

James I was looking at the mag 7 as well, sounds like it worked fine for you.

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
Hey Stan,

Here are a coupple pics of how I plummed Colleen's 60 gal. We are using a lifereef single overflow box (700gal/hr). Also a Rio 17HF for the tank return pump. Go with the mag7. As soon as this pump fails we will go with the mag. The Rio goes to a SCWD which is plummed to return to both ends of the tank. Then I lock-lined into the tank and added fan nozzles. It works great for upper tank flow and the fans are the siphon break for power failure. Just another Idea for ya. Hey get the 180.........You will want it sooner than later.:cool:
Scott

snobanker

Scott,

Thanks for the pics. I was considering using the SCWD also, and now that I see how you hooked it up I think I will. Is that an SR1 sump I see under the tank?....that's the same one I just got.

Illusion

Scott,

That tank looks Acrylic.. Why not Drill it and have an Internal overflow done cheap... Its alot more Reliable than any HOB overflow... With Acrylic its not hard to do at all..

Just a thought,
James

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.