Quantcast

New tank film

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Dr B

Hey guys... well im sure most of you have seen my new tank built by innovative on their forum here.

Anyways I am having a dilema on wether i should re-fill my tank with new salt water.
Herese the background-

I had been filling my tank up about 40g a day. The total water volume that i put in was 200g. I got my tank filled up with about 120g of water in which there was a single powerhead to keep the water moving. I filled my sump up with 20g and did not have a powerhead moving the water. I expected it to only be a day before i got the rest of the tank filled up, but boy i was wrong.

So i ran into a few problems wich delayed me about 5 days on filling the tank up. The sump had gotten kinda a white/clear filmy slime on it, but i didnt worry about it too much since it was just the sump.(note it is just freshwater up to this point, i didnt add salt yet).
I finally worked through my problems and got the water in(day and half to finish filling), and then I ran the tank pumps for a day before i put saltwater in it.
I have had saltwater in it now for 2 weeks with nothing in the tank because I had some heating probs. I now have a chiller and everything is settled. Today I look in the tank and there is that white slimy film stuff on everything. I dont like that... I dont know what it is.

So my question to you guys since I am ready to start putting rock in this week, should i just clean this slimmy stuff off and not worry about it, or should i think about draining the tank and starting over. I dont really want to pay for the salt/go through all the water again but I will if you guys dont make me feel better about it lol.
Just so you know, the new water was from my own RO/DI and i tested the TDS of it before i placed salt in there and it was 0ppm.
Thanks guys
DR

So what should I do

iamjosh

Just a thought..

Maybe try testing your current Tank/sump TDS, Then take RO/DI make up a gallon or so, add salt to match your tank/sump Specifig Gravity, then check TDS.

If the TDS number on the tank is lots higher that would tell you there is junk in the tank/sump, if they are the same maybe its just stuff from the salt but with so much water it just looks cloudy untill the various items in the salt all settle in the there areas.

Maybe I'm way way of base, but maybe not.

Maybe you can have your water tested somewhere to tell you what all is in it, there are places that test oil from engines to find out how much, gas, carbon and misc junk is in the oil.. you could try and find something like that for your water.. from what I remember the oil test was only $50, I can't imagine that testing water would be much more.

let me know what you think of my logic.
-j

Dr B

Unfortunately my tds meter wont read saltwater... its too high.

If im spending that much on testing i should probably replace the water.
Thanks for the ideas tho!

Dr B

Well I ended up ditching the water and starting over.
The water was so cloudy, and I am not sure why... i thought it may have been due to a lot of oxygen in the water since i havent fixed my micro bubble problem but i left everything shut off for 12 hours and it was still really cloudy. So the cloudiness plus this slime stuff made me decide to ditch it.
Hope that doesnt happen again this time lol...

NaH2O

I can't think of what that could be. I agree on the ditching of the water - please let us know how it goes the second time around.

jks1

I wish I had seen this post yesterday. I had a smiliar prob a few weeks ago filling my 210g with a 35gpd RO/DI. I had a green algae bloom in the water, which went away in the matter of a few days. No trace of it now. I could only guess it was from taking a week to fill the tank.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.