Quantcast

New tank is 'setup'. (Pics)

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
This is my new/next display tank. I had a 29g in the past, and this is going to be kind of a reincarnation of that. It isn't going to be a reef tank, but some mushrooms and ricordea came over from the LR I yanked out of my 75g tank. I think the first thing I am going to keep is an Arrow Crab, or CBS. The small animals I can't keep in the reef tank. Next spring I may find a Frogfish or Dwarf Lion. It's not much to look at yet..but I thought I'd share.

More pics that I kind of randomly shot in a gallery:
http://desolas.46and2.net/posted_pictures/29g/nov9/index.htm

It's a low light tank, just 4x32W PC (2 actinic, 2 10k) a 800gph powerhead blowing through the spray bar on the back, 150W heater, and a mechanical filter in the sump with carbon and a biofilter.

Wes

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Excellent Wes, its going to be a nice one. Midway had a frog fish in stock...I believe it must weigh about 15 lbs though :rolleyes: :D

Mike

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
H3R0, Stop trying to sell things in the public forum please. It's annoying. It seems like you do it everyday. Mention it to your boss, I'm sure he'll at least appreciate it.

believe it must weigh about 15 lbs though
Eh. No, I think I'll find one that actually fits in the tank, thanks though. :) I'm thinking probably come late-spring early-summer I will try to find a little one, in the 2-4" range. That will give me about 6 months with an arrow crab, plus other than putting LR in the tank I haven't actually put it through a cycle yet, so it's going to be 3 months before its mature enough for a real bioload.

It will be kind of nice having a simple tank again.

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
Thanks. If you recall my 75g, those two rocks are what made up most of the shelf on the right side of the tank. I got ambitious and re-aquascaped it since that plating monti was getting so huge. When I was done I had no place for those rocks..kept me from buying LR at least. :)

Oh and I came home to find my first algae bloom of the cycle. Yay!

Elmo18

Clownfish
Nice tank there!

I'm also starting a 10 gallon nano currently, and i was just as excited yesterday when i saw some algae on the rocks...

time to add snails sooon i think :)

keep us updated,

Elmo

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
I got my first algae outbreak this week, yay, got to clean brown diatoms off the glass. I had added some caulerpa from my 75g's sump, it's crashed already too! So exciting. :)

Just from moving the LR over I ended up with five hermit crabs, one astea snail, one bumble bee snail, and about 4-5 unknown snails (strombus I think, or something) without even trying. Kind of amusing what clings for dear life as it's being removed from water.

I swapped my PC's to it, and now the ricordea that came over and mushrooms are doing well. I am thinking of maybe getting some Xenia and letting it loose.

I almost purchased a firefish for it from Pet Pourri in Everett, but the lady who manages their fish department is so rude (and southern) that I walked out. I have decided to keep a firefish and an arrow crab for version one of this setup.

Wes

Alice

I like the way the rock looks in the tank :) I hope as the arrow crab gets bigger he doesn't decide to have the firefish for lunch! :shock:

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
Yeah I am sort of worried about that myself. I've kept them before without incident, and firefish seem to be kind of skittish, so I would assume that the crab would not be able to get it .. but of course the fish has to sleep sometime.

Well, if the crab eats the fish I will continue down to my next plan and maybe get a snowflake eel to punish the crab. Circle of life, right? :rolleyes:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.