Quantcast

New to closed loop, I am picking up a used tank/stand/canopy with all the CL fixings

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

NeilsReef

New to closed loop, I am picking up a used tank/stand/canopy with all the CL fixings,

Can I add an additional pump to the existing closed loop system, origially it was set up for 1 pump and had 6 outlets to the tank. I believe it drew water from 1 or 2 locations within the acrylic tank. It had a 1200 GPH external pump, if I added an additional pump to the CL by plumbing it in would this create complications if the CL is one complete system instead of two seperate CL's? In essence what I am trying to do is create more water flow with what I have available. If I yhad a larger pump I would just put that on there, but I don't. Thanks for helping me with these closed loop questions. I still have a few days before I can pick up the tank, so I don't remember exactly how it was set up, but I will update this thread when I get it if needed. Thanks again, Neil

Last edited:

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Could you possibly make one of the outlets an inlet for the new pump? I would not split off the inlet for one pump. Hope I read your post correctly!

NeilsReef

The tank size is 48L x 24W x 18T = 90 gallons. I have 6 inlets (sorry I originally typed 6 outlets, whoops I told you I was new to CL) into the tank on the closed loop, and I believe it draws the water from 2 locations with in the tank for the closed loop. A squid is also plumbed into the system, and previously there were a couple Sea Swirls (I don't have 1 of these yet), that fed water to the tank after it had gone throught the filtering & protein skimmer.

"Can I add an additional pump to the existing closed loop system?"
"It had a 1200 GPH external pump, if I added an additional pump to the CL by plumbing it in, would this create complications if the CL is one complete system instead of two seperate CL's?"
Thanks in advance for all your help.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Neil you had it right the first time, they are called outputs. Its a tough one to really tell until we take a peek at it. But thier is always a way to make it work. Get a pic up of the system and we can fix it up.

Mike

NeilsReef

Thanks Mojo, as soon as I get it I will upload a picture of the existing closed loop. I am hoping this will be somewhat simplistic modification on the CL, due to the fact everything is already set up and in perfect working order.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts