Quantcast

Nipple direction on XM bulbs

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

MINIATUS

I have finally got all my lighting equipment to gether now just need to assemble it. One thing that puzzles me is the direction of the nipple in the bulbs, do they go up or down. this will affect how I mount the lamps to the DYI brackets.Anyone got any idea on which way they go. The lamps are XM 250 watt SE 10k lamps.

TIA

MINIATUS :confused:

Last edited:

MINIATUS

Im still trying to understand all this .why does it make a diffference. Would not the bar block the dispersement of the light or is the reflector the main part to disperse light. Reflectors are the PFO spider lights.This whole light thing is very confusing. Wish I had bought the PFO moguls with bracket, would have saved me the aggrvation. But I like to make things complicated. LOL

MINIATUS :eek:

Katchupoy

If its possible fo you to make it 12:00... it would be great. If its not pointing up... the spectral/intensity will be different... some will be dim, some will be blue... and it will not be the right intensity.

But 9:00 to 3:00 is also good. In my case...I have to unscrew the mogul and rotate it because I already hit the maximum turn of the bulb without breaking it.

Spider reflector is very good and you dont have to worry too much... if you can just install it perpendicular to the tank, then youre good.

Dont worry about the metal blocking the bulb... it is not big enought to block the light... and if you turned it on... then the metal will disappear because of too much light coming out of the bulb...

Dont look at it directly.... will damage your eyes.

Is this gonna be ina DIY hood? What is the height between bulb and water surface.

MINIATUS

Thanks for that response, the canopy is a AGA oak canopy which has been revamped to 12 from the original 5 inchs, so about 10 inchs from water surface. What do you mean perpidicular to the tank. The reflectors join to gether and has mounting holes for the VHO end caps. Hope this helps you all.

TIA
MINIATUS :confused:

Last edited:

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Try them both ways Min and see what comes of it. I have down that with ushios, iwasakis and radiums and thier is a big shift in color when the nipples are pointing down. On the ushios and iwasakis went yellow, radium darker blue.

Mike

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
I have done it for a few reefer to watch, Basically the color of the bulb was whiter, I then turned the bulbs off waited for them to cool and then turned the nipple down. When they re-lite you could see the color difference, they turned yellow. I have done it side by side with the same temp bulb to show it.

Mike

Katchupoy

Tia, in your case you wont be able to make your light perpendicular... but that is ok too... no problem...
what is your tank dimensions?
also the reflector dimensions?
also how many lights/reflectors?

MINIATUS

Katchupoy said:
Tia, in your case you wont be able to make your light perpendicular... but that is ok too... no problem...
what is your tank dimensions?
also the reflector dimensions?
also how many lights/reflectors?
Tank is a 90 gal with coast to coast overflow. reflector is a 2 piece unit which will be joined together to cover the 4 foot length. Lighting is 2-250watt XM 10K lamps with 2-110watt Uri super actinics though I might run I actinic and 1 actinic white. depends on the final look.

Alan aka MINIATUS :cool:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts