Quantcast

nitrites to high

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

nananurse

:confused: How can I keep my nitrites down without having to do a water change every other day? I have a 50 gallon saltwater with only a dog face puffer and live rock. I have a penguin 330 filter a sea clone skimmer and a cpr bak pak skimmer on it to try to keep the nitrites down. What else can I do, I am not over feeding my puffer, he will only eat from my hand and only likes shrimp with the shell on. He will not eat anything else and if I let the food go he will not eat it from the bottom. He won't even eat clams in the shell. Can any one help?
I have had the tank up for one month, I started the tank with used filter and skimmers, live sand, live rock and 2 damsels. I also add prime to my water.

wrightme43

Well, to start how High are your nitrates? I forgot. They best way to lower nitrate is water changes. The live rock is not fully up and doing its best for 6 months, sometimes a year, to really start to work on nitrates. After about 3 months running time I would remove the bio wheel from the penguin filter. It is cycling the ammonia, and nitrite faster than the live rock can. Shifting that duty to the live rock will help it to remove nitrate, but it takes time. Be paitent. (I hate it but it works) LOL HTH Steve

gobie

dave the gobie
let's see you have a dog faced puffer, and 2 damsels? there is a product called "cycle" that will speed things up. and since this is a fish only tank . this product would work perfect for what you need. A sad fact is you bought your puffer too soon, i thik we all have done the same thing at one point in this hobby.and steve is right about the bio wheel. besides soon your bio wheel will turn into a nutrient sink and you don't want that to happen. cause you next post will be " I have a dark green algae growing on my bio wheel". remember water changes will slow down the process, and alleviate the stress on your fish.if your lfs is real good they might hold your puffer for you while your tank finnishes cycling for a small fee( covering food etc).

bradreef

always kidding
the biowheels on the penguin 330 are made to produce nitrates. either remove those or use a nitrate removing media in the baskets in the back of the filter. also I had a friend who had one of the smallest dogfaced puffers I had seen in a store in a tank that was the same size. within a year he had to trade it in at the fish store because it had grown so fast. It was aslo eating a cube of formula Vhp(very high protein) and a cube of formula 1 every day. That will create a lot of phosphates and nitrates and other bad things. You will need to buy a remora skimmer if you don't add a sump to keep up with the waste. Also the filter pads will need to be cleaned regularly. and the carbon in them will go bad monthly. you can use one of the trays to add additional carbon.

NaH2O

nananurse - can you post your most recent water test results? Include ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Let's see how your cycle is progressing. If you can post the prior results, too....that way we can see the progression from one set of tests to the next. I imagine your tank is still trying to catch up with the bioload from the puffer.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts