Quantcast

No sandbed?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

idgy

Ok, so I just use live rock and I cover the whole tank with this live rock. Do I need to clean up after the fish or is that what the cleaner crew is for?

I guess what I am trying to say is with the live rock covering most of the bottom of the tank how would you clean up the fish waste? I am sure you can not constantly keep moving the live rock around the tank?

Do the fish need a sandbed?

Please forgive my stupidity I am new to this live rock and sandbed thing and want to make sure I do not kill any marine life by not knowing the ins and outs of taking care of marine life.

Thanks!

dnjan

alveopora
Some fish need a a sandbed (Rainfordi's gobie, etc.).

Concerning cleaning up waste with no sandbed - there are two general approaches:

Option 1 - due to water movement, the detritus will tend to accumulate in specific places. You regularly siphon it out.

Option 2 - you have sufficient water movement to keep the detritus in suspension until it goes over your overflow to your sump (and you deal with it there).

Many people with no sandbeds try for Option 2, and use Option 1 for the detritus that settles out anyway.

fishermann

Idgy You DO NOT cover the bottom of the tank with LR, that is a really good way to get a big algae bloom going. First thing I would suggest is that you do alot more reading of some books and lookl at a bunch of pics on this sight of BB tanks. You have to remember LR is also a living animal and well create waste, so you use 1 to 2 lbs per tank volumne and unles you are very knowlageable in setting up flow systems for a BB setup I would go more towards the 1 lb per gallon. You are going to have to get the detritus out of the tank either by flow or by vacing it yourself weekly. Probably for the beginner it is better to make your reef vertically amd with plenty of space and holes in the reef for flow and so you can vac the bottom of the tank. Most BB systems run a spray bar on the back lower bottom of the tank blowing forward or several outlets with lockline fittings pointing to blow detritus forward so you can vac it out easily up front. Not to sound like a meany but you well save yourself alot of stress, not to mention the animals that you are going to take care of if you do some reading and studying before setting up, not to mention money and heartache. Posting here was a good beginning to that road, you well get some vry good advice, take it and the most important is GO SLOW and make sure you want to make the committment it takes to do this because it ain't easy and you well always have some issue to deal with, believe me, they are pretty but it is hard work.

idgy

thanks!

John, do you know of any good sites or books that will tell me more about BB and Live Rock?

fishermann

Look on this site under forums and scroll down the list, Under General discussion "advanced topics", General forums "feedback and suggestions", Equipment discussions "tank designs", and last but probably most important is the resource library with numerous subjects that should be read before starting a tank, Mike Palletta has good books on saltwater tank setups and I am sure their well be others that well give you other limks to read and books, but the ones I gave you here are real life experiences and suggestions.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.