Quantcast

OceansMotions - have you all seen this thing?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

jazznreef

I'm almost sold on this as well. It's such a cool approach that I'm revisiting how to set up flow in my next tank. It seems to be a great way to go though. The 4 output model seems more economical for my 180. Is the 8 version worth the extra money? The reefcentral thread says mojo looked into this. What do you think of it Mike? You just might push me over the edge.

reefsupply

in 14 days he will have the 4 way with the upgraded motor ready. I am picking one up for a 250 display tank. I'll tell ya all how it works.

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I can hardley wait to see this in action. I wonder how much if any of a reduction of water flow? Come on somebody, buy this thing....Its only money...

reefsupply

I am also going to buy the 8 way, when the 4 way is ready. so in about 3 weeks I'll tell you how they both work. I am going to pipe the 8 way in the 2000 gal rock tank to see how she works with a 2hp pump. I'll take some video of it also. Also I am going to use 4 of his heads to see how they are. I guess if I am going to sell them I should test them first

Scooterman

Administrator
Ed Hahn said:
I can hardley wait to see this in action. I wonder how much if any of a reduction of water flow? Come on somebody, buy this thing....Its only money...
LOL where's money pockets when you need him!

CarlS

This wavemaker really interested me when I saw it at Reef Central. It's just so simple, creative and cheap for what all it can do. Really the only thing bad about the device is plumbing it. The 4-way is pretty simple but the 8-way is going to take some creative pvc work.

Wish I had some spare change to buy a 4-way and some revolutions. Those things are really cool! Unfortunetly if I did get that I'd have to buy a new 55g tank so I can properly plumb everything.

But I can do some more renderings of how I would set it up!

Anyway I was thinking about plumbing this and wondered how you can plumb a spray bar into this? If you had the 8-way it would be good to run 2 of those on a spray bar at the bottom of the tank. So doing that how would you make a syphon break in case of a power outage? I only know of running a spray bar on closed loops so having a hard time figuring this out. Is there a reliable reverse flow stopper thingy that you can plumb in with the pvc?

Carl

Mushroom Boy

Unfortunetly if I did get that I'd have to buy a new 55g tank so I can properly plumb everything.
I suppose, there are worse things that could happen :D.

I'm thinking now about the 8 way and drilling the back pane of my acrylic tank for the 8 points of return. This would be driven off of the AM3K on a closed loop.

Carl, regarding siphon break on a spray bar, without it being on a closed loop, or running the plumbing up and over so you can drill for a siphon break near the top, the only other alternative (that I can think of) would be to use a check valve. I've read horror stories about them not working, though...

If it's not too much to ask, could I contact you about getting some renderings of how I might set this up on my tank?

CarlS

Sure thing Paul. I'd be happy to help. I'm at work right now modeling up an idea since there isn't much for me to do because it's my last day here and the new guy is doing all the work.

Just PM me what your thinking and I can probably work on it this weekend.

Carl

CarlS

So I did a little rendering of a closed system on my 55g. It's not my best work since I had to model it in a much older version of the program I usually use but it's decent.

So the black things are bulkheads. Figured I could attach the bendy jet sprayers into them. I also think I could put some 45 degree bends to raise or lower the locations. That would be less head loss then using a 90.

I must go to lunch. Later

Mushroom Boy

Looks sweet Carl. Looks a lot like what I've got in mind. If I go this route, I'm thinking of having 8 drilled returns in my tank and no spray bar. Nice work! It really helps to be able to visualize it!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.