Quantcast

OH, NO! It's getting closer

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
So I thought I would let you all know that Im a few steps closer to my 110gallon reef (two month since I started working on it). I finally ordered lighting today and got an amazing deal on two 250watt HQI pendants and two 110watt VHO acentics. Just last weekend at the Blue Sierras sale I was able to purchase my tank; better than waiting six weeks!

I have an IAP (60X18X24) 110gal with larger center-back stealth overflow (trapezoid). It's almost coming time to plumb this baby and I was wondering how others went about this. I want two 1" durso standpipes. Is that too much to stick in that overflow or will that work?
Here's the think behind it. I want two in order to reduce the flow down each pipe. I am having 2000gph total flow in my tank, but only about 500gph will be going through the sump system (this is based off my skimming capacity with a euroreef 6-2+ run by a 500gph Sedra). SOOOO.... I?m thinking two standpipes would greatly reduce the flow through each, thus reducing noise and micro bubbles by lowering speed of flow and suction. Also, I think the redundancy of having two encase one clogs is just a better way to go about it.

So what the verdict? Anyone with the overflow can house two one inch Durso's ???

Anyone want to help me drill and set the plumbing up ;)

-Erik

Doug1

Congrats on the score , but FWIW the pump will actually push less water thru the skimmer than rated do to back pressure, how much less depends on the skimmers construction

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
Okay... Yeah, I figured the some head pressure will reduce the flow through the skimmer into the 400gph range but I still plan on moving close to 600-700gph through the sump. In fact, the return pump I plan on using is rated at 1017GPH(this may be reduced). How should I plumb this thing? I am currently working on a diagram of my tank and the plumbing.

All I have done so far is the main tank diagram, but you can check it out here: http://students.washington.edu/eanders/Tank%20design1.1.jpg

Here basic plan that I am drawing up:

2X 1" flows (600 gph max apiece flowing at much lower gph)
have return come back up into over flow and spray out sides of over flow on SCWD ran by Quite One 4000= return from sump rated 1017GPH. I think the squid and the 3 feet or so of head will bring the GPH down in the 650-850gph range.

The rest of the flow will be a closed loop split by SCWD to opposite ends
ran by Quite One 6000= 1506 gph (SCWD and two 90degree elbow to get it to center of each far side will reduce this GPH a great deal as well)

So we are looking at an overall flow of about 1700-2000GPH. I hope.

I'll post full diagram when its done so I can get opinions. This design calls for drilling 7 holes though...
3X bulkhead in overflow: 2 for Durso's 1 for return
2X bulk heads in side of over flow: One each side for output of SCWD
2X holes in each far end top to place closed loop returns through.

I will simply have closed loop take from intake pipe and hope not to drill more.
I'm just worried that I will botch something, as I have never drilled my own tank. I am very handy, but theres no going back esthetically once i drill a hole.

-Erik

aquariumdebacle

electrolyte addict
Home is just three clicks away

Yes you can repair "mistakes" in an overflow or any where on an acrylic tank. Simply clamp a piece of acrylic over the spot in question and re-drill; not the best of answers but beats buying a new tank. Just because your parinoid doesn't mean you won't mess up.

The flow rate you are looking at requires at least two one and half inch drains; possibly two. I recommend the traditional Durso configuration as that seems to be the quietest. If it is not in a place of extreme noise subjugation, I recommend using a modified Durso. This involves a reducer (that you must route out), a coupling fitting, and a end cap(which might also needed to be modified.) I've tried them all the Durso is by far the quietest.

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
Why isnt 2X 1" going to be enough? With two of them I can pull down 1200gph and I will be doing nothing near that?

Here is a link to my first drawing of my Plumbing:
http://students.washington.edu/eanders/Tank%20plumb%20design1.1.jpg
I still have to draw sump config.

Look okay so far???

-Erik

aquariumdebacle

electrolyte addict
more is better

I recommend the one and a half. More surface area means you have longer for it to clog. The screen also will reduce the flow.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts