Quantcast

ok, bought a Goniopora lobata

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

TDEVIL

i fell into the trap and bought one, also called flower pot coral, mine is green and seems to be doing fine so far (had it for about 3 weeks)
i know that some feel that this coral should be left in the ocean, but i really like it and how do you know if you are able to keep one if you do not try, hopefully i will get lucky :)

so the thing that im wandering is how many have one that is still living and how many have had them that have moved on to that little place in the sky just for our corals, fish, etc :( and please give a timeline

have a good one and TIA

TD

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Tdevil I used to have a goni. it was the purple variety and they have been know to last a little bit better. It lasted for just around a year and a half before an event killed it. I cant offer you to much insight into them as thier is not much out thier. Moderate flow was something mine liked, but as per food..cant help ya.

Mike

sharks

I would suggest ordering the Julian Sprung video from the 2003 IMAC. I found the speech very informative. I’m still on the fence on the whole iron & manganese (I believe) idea he has. He does say that further study is needed in that area. They are found more in lagoon areas and thus need less light, flow, and somewhat dirtier water. I have a Stokesi in a 13G now for 7 months and so far so good. I have no skimmer and only a small PC fixture. Also it is in a slow flow area.
I do stir the sand a bit around the piece and only clean the acrylic when it gets really bad. Letting the coral feed on the algae and critters for a little while before I bang out the water change. About 3G every 7-10 days or whenever algae cover the sides.
Like Mike he also said that the non green colored ones do better. The Stokesi’s are the hardest and unfortunately the most abundant in the wild and in the trade. I am still on the look out for a red or purple one. He also mentioned one species in Japan that actually lives in the crash zone of the coast. Waves crashing down on them all the time! I didn’t get the name of this one though.
There are some success stories out there though. I spoke to Julian and he was telling me of one that he kept for like 6 years in a slow flow system. I also know of one reefer who has posted pics of his sprouting buds and dropping babies in his system.
I hope to dedicate my 72bow to goniopora and softies. But I am still learning and if I start to loose the Stokesi that will be the end of that species for me. There are over 20 species to try.
S

Elmo18

Clownfish
Hi. I had a goniopora stokesi, the Green Metallic Goniopora about two years ago. The solitary colony had a base which was the size of a closed fist when its tentacles were not out.

Did very well in my 25 gallon tall Eclipse tank under 2x55 Watt PC's. 10k and 7100 blue bulb. They will send sweeper tentacles so do not put them close to anything else, as they are bad stingers. Mine actually asexually reproduced and had two small baby colonies. I still have pictures somewhere in my computer that i will definitely try to find. I think the key, or IME/IMO is to put them on the sandbed, as they are naturally found in lagoonal flats along the sand. Moderate flow as to sway their tentacles, but changing flow, so as not to sway the tentacles in one direction.

I have heard though, that one way this coral shows its "dying, or will die soon" sign, is by releasing baby ones asexually, so as to save itself and give offspring first. I'm not sure if this is true, or if that was what was happening to my specimen. Anyhow, the mother colony died after i transferred it to a new 80 gallon ssystem, of no reason. Not sure what happened, including the babies. Another conjecture is they do better in water that has more nutrients, i.e. tank water without skimming. This again, goes out of line with my of us SPS keepers, as we try to keep the water crystal clear, and skim heavily. I am not sure if i will try one again, but if i do, I would like to get a hold of a Red Goniopora species from Bali, as they have shown to have more success in our tanks. Again, the term "more success" is very redundant, because it could mean 2 years..and then death...or 1 year doing fine, then dying. I would say success is if it shows growth, and or reproduction in the tank, with the mother colony.

Again, best of luck to you. I will try find that picture i took of the babies.

- Elmo

Minh Nguyen

IMO, the key to keeping Goniopora is feeding. They can take rather large prey. Size of mysis shrimp. Try to target feed them and you will see that they will eat.
Over the last three years, I was given 4 Gonopora, all in bas shape with receeding tissue. I was able to save three, they recoverd and growing at about 2.5 years, and the fouth died. They need moderate to bright light and low currrent. I have no problem with Goniopora in my tank wich is a thriving DSB system. I don't target feed them but I can see that they take floating food, especially mysis shrimp once in a while.
Minh

Elmo18

Clownfish
Typical of lagoonal settings; low to moderate flow, nutrient rich water, and along the sandbed. Just keep a close eye on yours and keep us up to date :)

- Elmo

Elmo18

Clownfish
Ok, I found the picture of the two baby gonioporas asexually spawned from the mother colony. It's a shame that I lost them all :(

- Elmo

TDEVIL

sorry for the late response, been really busy, and i have been on another board (wont get into that :( )
been working a lot of overtime, and searching for a new digi cam (bought one :) )
it is still doing fine and my clown hasnt messed with it at all (he stays in the xenia)

nice pic Elmo

Minh Nguyen, i havent herd of feeding them with suck large food, i will try

thanks for your responses, again sorry i havent been around in a while

TD

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts