Quantcast

Open Air MH Vrs Pendant MH?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Scooterman

Administrator
What are your experiences or thoughts as far as the Open Retro MH as compared to these self contained Pendant MH? I'm thinking there are pluses on both sides, like for one I'd have to guess Heat is increased with Pendants Vrs the open Air Retro's, what are your thoughts?

bc_slc

The closed pendants do a much much better job of reflecting the light. Most of the "spider" type reflectors or other open reflectors waste a ton of the light. I personally think the pendants is the most important part of the lighting setup. If you are going to skimp somewhere don't do it here.

For example, a DIY ballast can save you a couple hundred dollars depending on the number of bulbs you are going to run....however, I would def spend the extra money making sure the light you produce ends up in the tank...

Scooterman

Administrator
Ahh, so your saying the enclosed Pendant forces more of the light downward by design? I thought the spider reflector basically does the same thing, with the wrap around structure, so a tighter smaller reflector in your opinion is even better, or is there other reasons why is it so much better?

bc_slc

correct. But keep in mind, not all enclosed reflectors reflect well. The Reef Optix and PFO minis are the best I think. They are a DE setup and a bit more expensive, but worth the money, I think.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.