Quantcast

Overflow and then Closed loop..90AGA

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
A while back there was a tank given away in the ReeF Frontiers Raffle. I was drooling over how that tank was plumbed. I liked it so much I am going to do it with my glass tank. I am going to make three 1 inch or bigger siphon drains at the top of my tank with the same idea as The Raffle tank. I will use the black plexi for internal overflow box. I have one SCWD and thought about buying another and having alternating current close to my bare bottom and another going midway. I have a 1/2 Sea Swirl I was going to have rebuilt and used for circulation near the top.
My idea was to use a Sequence 3800 gal pump for circulation. Any suggestions? I am also concerned with a antisiphon device that will not interfere with incoming flow?:confused:

Thanks in Advance
Ed
Members of our fish club came over to my house last night. We talked about how to improve things. AWW What A Rush!
:)

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
after talking to a engineer, some guy that is too smart for his own being, and another smart experience guy, I am thinking about just going with a Coast to Coast prefilter with four 1 inch holes? The plan is to have a 1 inch spray bar about 3 inches from the bottom. I will then purchase two more Sea Swirls to plant in the front corners of my tank. My Sequence pump will have valves to adjust the flow of each Sea Swirl and the 1 inch spray bar on the bottom. I will also run a saftey valve or two to prevent flood. If I can get away without running a closed loop I will. The idea was to keep it simple and run things through Skimmer and possibly other filtration and then return with Sequence 3800 g.p.h. pump.....If this will work, I am gonna do it?

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
running a pump that big through your sump could cause a bunch of problems with bubbles and so on Ed. my sump is 7 feet long and holds about 175 gallons and I have a tough time with bubles with a 3000 gph.

Mike

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Wow...ok, I am stumped again. I am planning on using valves to adjust flow. Now my problem is space. I will need a sump that can reduce air bubbles. My head is spinning.. I wonder if reducing out put will cause heat also?

wanareef

reefer addict
Ed

To get the flow that you want and to minmize bubbles, I think you will have to have a CLS. Take your water just below middle from the tank and split the suction by having 2 2" BH's. No bubbles, no flooding the floor when power goes out.:rolleyes:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I have got my pump. I am going closed loop. I Thank you Wanareef. I am still going with overflow as planned. I was told I could use 1 inch holes for about all? I think I am going to need at least 1 1/2 inch holes for water going to the pump. I have been watching plumbing on here so much lately. I like the idea of suction covers also. I am looking at Hayward valves, Sea Swirls, and Oceanmotions valve. I have had help on here from some really cool people. Thank you, you really cool people.

Sincerely,
Ed

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts