Quantcast

Overflow Questions

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

flip_3_6_0

About a month ago i transfered the contents of my 46 gallon to my new 75 gallon. I am so angry at myself for going against kevins advice and not getting the tank drilled (Who Needs a Sump?). Anyway, now i really want to set a sump. I already have a 29 that is baffled an ready to go. My question is, since im stuck using a HOB overflow, which cpr model is appropriate for my tank size and what is a good return pump option (thinking Mag something)?Also does the potential risk of flood out way the convienece of a sump? Does using the airlifter pump greatly reduce this risk?
Thank you for any input. :)

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Flip,
I am using the 1000 gph model on my 80. The airlifter pump has been a godsend. I haven't had any problems with it at all. I am using the little giant 3 as my return pump, with the return T'd off back the the sump in case the return is too strong for the over flow. I you want I can take a pic when the lites come on for a reference. HTH.

flip_3_6_0

:) Thanks charlie. A picture is always helpful, mostly i wanted know if the airlifter pump made it that much less risky.
-i havent had a chance to run out to kevins yet, but im excited to go get my new frag. :D

plack

Sea Otter
Here is my experience with a 55 gallon glass undrilled tank:
I wanted to get rid of the aqua remora pro mag 3 motor in the middle depth of my tank and possibly also 1 or more maxi jets so i got a used sump that had a protein skimmer in it a cpr cy194 wet dry 12 gallon plumbed for an external pump (800 gallon max flow rated) and got 2 small overflow boxes (one at 300 gallons one at 600 gallons with no u tubes so i made some) when I started it up the return pump Iwaski 40 (800 gallons) wanted to flood the top tank because it took too long for the 2 overflow boxes to start so I asked around about pumps and then figured i was really just scared about flooding so i got an overflow box that can handle 1200 gallons by cpr and has the nipple to remove the air bubbles and ran that to a maxi jet in my sump to pull out the air ( i did not think i needed the airlifter and in truth still wont until summer then the heat from the maxi jet might be an issue so i plan on getting one anyway with the larger capacity cpr overflow box it works great and i turn off the power a few times at feeding times cause the circulation will pull a frozen cube thru the overflow into the sump faster than the fish can get to it i split the return 3 ways by 3/4" and probably should have just done 2 for 700 gallons( I slowed the motor down a bit for some reason at full speed it loves to make bubbles but if i turn the ball valve on the return just a little all is fine and since then my nitrates went from 25 to zero much better than a canister no matter how often you clean it good luck :)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts