Quantcast

Ozone on a reef?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Johnny

I will be setting up a 100 gallon reef soon (upgrade from a one year old 39 gallon) and I was wanting opinions on adding an ozone generator or a UV sterilizer. I plan on keeping LPS, soft corals and mushrooms. What are the advantages/disadvantages? What size should be right for a 100. Thanks in advance.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
I use UV Johnny and have always had one on my tanks. they not only help keep the fish healthy the take alot of the nasties out of the water. On ozone it is more of an aggressive form of water filtration. check out the library thier are a few good articles in thier I believe

Mike

Johnny

I know very well how both work ( I work part time at a pool store that my dad owns). I was thinking about ozone but was worring that it may effect coraline algae growth, but since ozone is so strong it may be better to go with uv. What size would you recommend on an 100 gallon?

fishermann

I have a nine watt on my seventy five plus a sump and they say that is good for up to 150 gals. You probably could go with a 18watt which is rated for a 100-350 gal.

reefsupply

I use a 9 watt on our 250 gal 9 unit fish display, it's not in line it is on its own systen that returns to the sump. ya you can call me cheap but when i got it it is all i could afford at the time. Works great no problems.

Johnny

I think I will stop thinking about ozone and concentrate on uv I think it will be the best for me. I would worry about the ozone gas building up in my stand, canopy or house. I know there are ways to disapate the gas but it takes up to much room and money. Now to read about UV for a week or so.

fishermann

I run it 24/7, always have,the nasties are always there trying to multiply so why shut it off,besides it doesn't clean all the water all the time, only what gets sent through it which should be at the recommended rate so the lite has its chance to sap the stuff which is pretty slow.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.