PFO 400W Ballast Question

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

salmonslayer

UP ALL NIGHT
Hi all. I have three 400watt HQI ballast. I ran three NEW Helios 20k SE bulbs. I fried all three in about three weeks. I went with HQI to over drive the bulbs. I found a place that sells Helios 400watt HQI single ended bulbs thinking great I wont have to replace them as quick from over driving them ( NOT ). I checked the ballast with some lower end bulbs from Eb%# for $9.99 and they are still up and running so I don't think its the ballast. I should say that the ballast are used and in great shape ( as far as the out sides ). I got the ballast from three different reefers.
In a nut shell has anyone had a problem running Helios or any other bulb thats SE on a HQI ballast. Thanks/ Tracy

kevinpo

Expert
Hello Tracy,
I think there must have been a bad batch of bulbs. I had to replace two of them. One exploded and the other cracked (they were running on standard magnetic ballast). The two replacement bulbs are running fine so far.

HTH,
Kevin

salmonslayer

UP ALL NIGHT
Are you using 400W lamps?
Yes 400watt bulbs- Helios 20 k

Hello Tracy,
I think there must have been a bad batch of bulbs. I had to replace two of them. One exploded and the other cracked (they were running on standard magnetic ballast). The two replacement bulbs are running fine so far.

HTH,
Kevin
I was thinking the same thing. Two of them just got cooked and the other also cracked at the socket.
They state that there HQI SE bulbs and thats what made me get them also the color.
I sent them back and there sending me new ones. They couldnt replace them again if they were to do the same thing. Coral vue say there not HQI. The people selling them say they are :confused:

Herefishyfishy

Smart Bass
Thanks Scooty, learn something every day. I knew the Hq was from element Mercury but never know what the word was

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from HQI)

Hydrargyrum quartz iodide (HQI) is a special type of high-intensity discharge (or HID) lighting, where the light is produced using a very high voltage electrical arc through a gas. The "H" in "HQI" comes from hydrargyrum, the Latin name for the element mercury. When heated, mercury vapour is created inside the bulb, and deposited when it cools.

An HQI lamp consists of a protective outer glass shield surrounding two heavy wires which are inserted into each end of a smaller inner bulb containing a gas. The lamp is powered by an electrical ballast, which regulates the current flow through the arc in the smaller inner bulb. Like all HID lamps, HQI lamps operate under high pressure and heat, and require special light fixtures for safe use.

HQI lamps can produce different color temperatures when manufactured with different metal halides. They are relatively efficient light sources producing a high lumen/watt ratio (approximately 6x that of incandescent bulbs).

Like HMI, HQI lamps are subsets (or types) of metal halide lamps, which in turn are subsets of high-intensity discharge (HID) lamps. They should not be confused with quartz halogen light bulbs, which are a specialized type of incandescent light bulb.

salmonslayer

UP ALL NIGHT
Some update info. Come to fine out lets call the place "bulbs R us". Bulbs R us sold me some bulbs that went bad. They said contact the mfg. I sent the bulbs to the MFG and they said there not our bulbs. With out getting to into it come to find out so far. Bulbs R us is taking the bulbs out and putting there own packaging on them.
Still trying to get this resolved. I think the bulbs got put in the wrong packing thats why they fried in two weeks.
What a mess this is becoming. Every one is pointing fingers and my tank looks like crap. Been over a week and no bulbs yet. Hell as it sits the bulbs are sitting at a MFG that has nothing to do with it.
Should have stayed with PFO mag ballast. Ouch

Katchupoy

Salmonslayer,

How do you like your LumenBrite? Is it really big difference on the spread of the light compared to your Lumenarc III's? I was asking because I might jump on the lumen???? band wagon soon...

Thanks for your reply and sorry to divert the thread...

salmonslayer

UP ALL NIGHT
LumenBrites: Love them. If I can get this bulb thing taken care of I will be much happyer. There a lot brighter than the lumenarcs, think because the way there built.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.