Quantcast

Ph Meter

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

DonW

R.I.P.
Can someone give me a recomendation for a PH meter. I would like to just leave it running all the time.

Thanks
Don

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
I've been pretty happy with my Pinpoint pH probe. Was $90, worth the investment for sure.

If I did it again though I would have spent a little more and bought a pH controller as I now have use for one.

jazznreef

ph meter

i agree with desolas on both points but it is tough to pay for a controllor without a calcium reactor. you might look into milwaukees. they have good reviews and are a bit cheaper. also, beware of buying controllors used. the probes go out really easily and are darn near as much money as the entire set up so if you have to replace the probe on a used one you buy then the price is the same as buying a new one from the start

DonW

R.I.P.
PH meter

I dont think I need a controller or a calcium reactor. I'm sure everyone says that. But I do like gizmos and automation. I dont plan on ever upgrading to more than a 75. House is just to small. I just seem to be using double the amount of ph kits since converting to a reef.

Thanks for the info.
Don

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
I also use the PinPoint pH meter, and overall I like it quite a bit. I leave it running at all times, just so that I can watch overall trends.

Be aware that when the battery starts going out, you will likely get very strange readings. Look for the "LoBat" indicator if you ever get a very strange (like unusually high) reading.

At one point, I had changed my dosing methods and schedule at around the same time that my pH meter's battery died. Over the course of 3-4 days the meter was reading steadily higher, and at around 8.6 (in the morning) I decided to panic. I was convinced that my new dosing method was screwing up the tank, so I launched into all sorts of antics trying to get my pH back to normal. As you can imagine, it didn't work ;) Keep in mind that the strangest part was that the fish and corals looked great!

After practically having a nervous breakdown, a friend suggested using a standard test kit. Well, I did, and I am sure you will guess the rest.

Having said all that, I recommend this meter as it works well, but it is nowhere near as important as simply watching your tank and admiring the pretty corals......

Katchupoy

Desolas,

Go ahead and buy one with the controller and I will buy the monitor from you...

If the price is right.... Its so happen that I am getting ready to buy one.

DonW

R.I.P.
PH

I think that is the reason I use so many test packets. I'm new to this and panic. My lonely cup coral closes up at a odd time and the first thing I do is test ph. Probably out of panic and not knowing what to do. Thanks for the info, I'll go for the pinpoint.

Don

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
Re: PH

DonW said:
the first thing I do is test ph. Probably out of panic
You don't mention whether the pH is off when this happens, but I would suggest that this is otherwise fairly normal, many corals will do this periodically for short periods. There are very few things that happen in a reef tank fast enough to cause a panic (such as RTN), and even then you need to keep your head.

My pH changes daily from an average low of about 8.12 in the morning to sometimes as high as 8.43 just before the lights go off. That took some getting used to initially, as when I was using standard test kits I usually did the test at around the same time I got home from work, so the tests were usually roughly the same. Not to mention that the difference between 8.20 and 8.25 is not so obvious when doing a color comparison [grin].

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
just get a pin point monitor, testing for ph via a kit is just not worth it anymore since the ph monitors have come down in price so much.

Mike

big t

tankless
I am currently borrowing a pinpoint monitor, wow I have to say it is pretty nice. I am using it to monitor the output of my calcium reactor, and periodically dip the probe into the sump to see what the tank is doing. I will definately be ordering one.

Tom

DonW

R.I.P.
I received my Pinpoint ph meter yesterday and set it up last night. Very cool works great, I compared it to a regular test and they were both the same. Ph at 8pm was 8.3 and this morning at 5am it was 7.9. Should I assume this drop is normal or should I do something about it???
For the last month I have added NO chemicals to my system. My Kh stays at 10 and Cal. stays at about 550. I have one cup coral and a 2" colt frag, both look great and do not deplete calcium.

Thanks for suggesting the Pinpoint
Don:razz:

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
It is normal to experience some variation throughout the day due to the photosynthesis during the day and the lack of it at night. You will find that it increases gradually throughout the day.

Just keep in mind my earlier comments regarding what happens when the battery starts to go dead, simply watch for trends, and don't panic based on the value of any single reading. In general, your corals will be the best and simplest barometer of your tanks health.

Glad you like it!

jazznreef

even with the ac adaptor things can go wrong. when the probe goes out cause its old or gets banged around the readings may bounce all around. its not abnormal when this happens to freak out and take drastic measures/ just remember to keep hour cool and dont do anyting drastic if the numbers seem way out of wack/.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.