Quantcast

Photo Printers

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

plumber_bob

I've been using an HP Photosmart for quite sometime; however, I would like to find something that prints as good or even better for a cheaper amount per page. I've noticed with HP you pay quite a bit for the ink. I print out lots of DVD covers and would like someone to recommend a printer that is cheap in the ink department plus print high quality photos.

reedman

Canon puts out a line of high quality photo printers. They have between 4 and 6 seperate color cartridges (depending on quality of photo print). I believe each cartridge is about $12. We just recently got one and it's pretty darn nice. Plus the fact that you replace the color that ran out and not all of the colors saves $$.

Llarian

I'll agree with the Canon reccomendation.

My personal choice is the Epson 2200, but that's strictly for quality/archival reasons, its far from being cheap. I think the higher end Canon photoprinters are a nice compromise.

-Dylan

big t

tankless
My buddy here just bought a Epson 300m. It was $220, and I think a bargain for the quality of the prints and also you don't have to use a computer to print photos. It accepts compact flash, scandisk, and smartmedia cards right in the front and has a monitor to check out the preview. It also has the 6 ink's and capability to print directly onto printable cd's.

Scooterman

Administrator
For chaep and reasonable quality I agree Canon can be cheaper, also I've never tried but they do make thoes kits you refil with, don't know if it is worth it or not.

mattseattle

eeks - stay away from those kits. they are usually very cheap ink that smears or doesn't adhere to paper at all. i've tried about 3 different kits i've bought from various sources both to refill my color cartridge and my b/w cartridge. same results with both. it just wasn't the same quality print job. i have an HP deskjet that is color. Stay away from most HP's as they have the single cartridge for color and it costs like 30 - 45.00 easily to replace it. Someone gave me the printer and now I see why. :)

Scooterman

Administrator
My Hp all in one cost millions for the cartridges, but the quality is awesome for photos. One that note, I do reduce the average quality drastically with good results, it helps save on the ink, otherwise I'd break the bank.

Hey Mat, thanks for the info on those refill kits, I always wondered about them. the total kits also isn't cheap.

mattseattle

i also tried buying the 'refilled' cartridges from someone on e-bay. same results....they worked but didn't have the same quality. they were more than half the price though but i didn't think it was a good value after trying them. so now i just buy new cartridges. i may look at buying one of the canon printers people have recommended on this thread.

Zephrant

Engineer
I've given up on the HPs- They make a decent cheapo printer, but charge way too much for their cartridges. The printers don't seam to last either, but for the price, I guess they expect you to buy a new one every year.

I've been drooling over the Cannon I9900- 8 color tanks, 13x19" prints, USB2, 4800x2400 resolution, blah blah blah...

See: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/canon_i9900.html

It really is a photo printer though. I would not recommend it for general printing needs, but I have a laser printer/copier for that. :)

Zeph

cookiemn

Chicago bound!!!
I have the Canon i950. It is a great printer with 6 tanks. A little while ago I saw them at Fry's for about 150, althought they were refurbished. The only issue that I see with Canon pronters is that the higher end Epsons do a better job printing B&Ws and their pictures seem to hold their color integrity a little longer. But then again you can always reprint them if they fade as long as you have the digital pics.

Erwin

Katchupoy

I used to do my own prin on a HP 900 series. But now, I go to COSTCO, which is chemical print. Better for my opinion and cheaper. 14 cents per image. 11x17 for less than 3 dollars.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.