Quantcast

Pistol or mantis shrimp

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

jase0723

I have a shrip in my tank that came with the live rock. I'm not sure if it's a pistol shrimp or mantis shrimp, but, it's killing all my snails and hermit crabs within a month of when I get them. I need to get rid of this preditor. I think it's a pistol shrimp becuase of the clicking sound it makes in the tank. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can trap or kill this nasty shrimp?

wrightme43

Watch carefully find his rock and remove it, pour club soda in the rock and it should come out. Or make a small lobster trap out of a soda bottle, cut the top off, roll up a cone of window screen, and insert it after gluing a piece of krill to the bottom. Set it in the tank after lights out. Just a couple of ideas. Steve

Oscapus

Mantis shrimp click pretty good too. I bought one and keep him alone in a 15gal hex with corals and snails. He starts clicking when he is hungry, and I then stick feed him a frozen krill. He especially clicks as he tears it apart, sort of like us groaning with Rocky Road ice cream. If I ignore him, I lose a snail that night. I have also had an unknown clicker in my large tank, but never lost anything, probably a pistol. I think you have a mantis.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts