Quantcast

Planning Hood

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

DonW

R.I.P.
I am just starting to plan my hood. I have two 250mh, and would like to have some evening lights. The MH run 10.5 hrs per day and that seems to be working ok. I would like to run some other form of lighting until probably bed time. Any suggestions??

Don

Crows Ridge

Don, our tank has VHO actinic that comes on at 08:30, the MH come on at 11:00/ off at 21:00 and the VHO off at 22:00. I like it very much that way.

I am thinking of putting moon lighting in the 350 too.

good luck, Chris

kevinpo

Expert
I use a few VHO's for sunrise/sunset effect. They come on 1.5 hours before the halides and stay on 1.5 hours after the halides go off. My fish and corals usually spawn in the evening VHO only lighting scheme.

HTH,
Kevin

DonW

R.I.P.
Thanks for the replys, VHO it will be. My tank is 48" long will two VHO bulbs be enough?? I was thinking I could put them along side the MH in the same reflectors using clips to hold them on.
I have two I think 15" pfo reflectors, does this sound right??

Don

DonW

R.I.P.
I'm going to go VHO. They come in 36 46 and 48. Does anyone know the finished (with caps) length of the 46 and 36.
I have a 48 tank, what is the best for this tank.

Thanks
Don

mattseattle

the inside length of my canopy is 48" so I went with the 46.5" length VHO's. Well they are about an inch to short so the end caps don't add much length to them at all. i almost went back and traded up for the 48" inchers but I'll wait till I replace my bulbs and do it. It was too far of a drive to go back to Blue Sierra.

dnjan

alveopora
I would also put in a socket for a red (night viewing) light. I just use a 25w red incandescent. Comes on at lights off for about 2 hours, and also comes on about 1-1/2 hours before lights on. Great for viewing critters and corals in night-time feeding mode.

Alice

The canopy on my first tank had the piano hinge lid only. On subsequent tanks I've had the cupboard-style doors on the front of the canopy so that I can feed and mess around in the tank without having to lift the lid. Makes tank maintanence so much easier.

Most canopies on larger tanks come that way these days, but it's something to think about if you are still in the planning stages. :)

Crows Ridge

Good point Alice! Franks canopy had regular doors on the front and ends, plus the whole front opened up for full access. By design of course:D just kidding!

Chris

Alice

I didn't know it did all that!

I think I know the guy who designed that canopy. ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts