Quantcast

Plans for new tank?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Maxx

Staff Housemonkey
Hey everyone,
I've had a 58 gallon Oceanic tank in the basement for the better part of a year now waiting for the funds to set up as an SPS/ clam tank w/an anemone or two, (I already have the LTA.) This will be a BB tank....so high flow is the goal....
I have spoken w/ Mojo off and on about getting this plumbed properly. My original intention was to use a Motorized Ball Valve, (MBV here on since I'm lazy and don't want to type that again...), for closed loop purposes. Imagine my frustration when Mike tells me that the MBV will likely not fit behind the tank due to its size. My Oceanic is 36Lx18Wx21H. Evidentally the MBV will take up at least 18 inches and we wont have enough room for the manifold. Mike's not used to thinking about "smaller" tanks he says.....:lol:
Mike suggested the possiblilty of using one of the OceansMotions, (www.oceansmotions.com) in place of that....hmmmm....good concept, but I'm not sure I want to go that route due to the duration of the water pulse....7 seconds per port on a 8 way, 15 seconds on a 4 way.....This strike me as more of a pulsing water movement as opposed to the random sloshing one can get from a MBV.....I could be wrong though....
Everything I've purchased thus far for the tank was done so w/ the intent of being able to upgrade at a later date.... but why wait?
I'm able to play w/ about 2k$ for set up...but if I go w/ a bigger tank, I need to factor that into the cost as well. I will be DIYing the stand and canopy to save money. BTW, I dont like acrylic...had several acrylic tanks previously and couldnt stand the scratches.....
Currently, I have dual 250 watt HQI reflectors and ballasts, a MRC calcium reactor w/ all equipment (except for a PH monitor/controller) and I have two Aqua C Remora HOB skimmers....okay, these would need to be replaced, but I was originally planning on a 58 gallon.....Initially the 2 of these should fill the gap til I can get a real skimmer, (I hope).
The only place I know that makes glass tanks custom would be these guys www.glasscages.com . They have a 95 gallon which would work almost fine. I'd really rather have a custom 48Lx24Wx21H which works out to about 100 gallons. $ feet is the most I can go and I like the width for aquascaping. Does anyone know about another custom tank builder that wont charge an arm and a leg? I live in St Louis MO, so some of the local places you guys might know won't help unless they ship. I would rather have a manufacturer drill holes as this wont void a warranty.
I'm planning on building my own stand...so maybe the warranty thing is moot....I dunno.
Here is a down and dirty sketch of what I think would be a good closed loop set up....this was planned w/ a MBV in mind.
Comments, questions, jokes????
Nick

NaH2O

Hey Nick....I have a 120 gallon Oceanic glass tank (dual overflows) for ya right here! 48X24X24

The design looks good. You should be able to get some good flow with it. Keep in mind the size of the overflows and the size of the holes you'll need to drill to fit your CL pump.

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
Hey Maxx,
Before I bought an Iap acrylic tank I was looking seriously at Oceanic. If I'm not mistaken you can custom order from Oceanic. I wanted starfire glass and they said no problem. I believe they drill tanks also. I think you need to contact a local dealer and find out if it would work or not for ya. Other than that, Mabye contacting MACNA for some tank builders?
Scott

Maxx

Staff Housemonkey
Hey Nikki,
have you drilled the tank out or is that a RR?
I had been planning on 1 inch drains and 3/4 inch returns.
Nick

Maxx

Staff Housemonkey
Okay, just emailed Oceanic and don't really expect to hear back from them until at least tomorrow. I did call glasscages.com and somebody answered amazingly enough...guess its a home phone...
I was quoted for a 48Lx24Wx21H......$380.00 for the tank and the 12 holes. He said he could also give me a tank that was 25 inches tall for the same price....guess its the same size glass. Also probably should add $20 since I forgot to place the CL inlet in the diagram so I really need 13 holes....(good thing I'm not superstitious.....):rolleyes:
He will supply bulkheads for $12 a piece...schedule 80's...$156.00
And since they are in Nashville TN, shipping is only $125.00
Total cost....$681.00
The owner said that their warranty is 90 days same as everyone else.....I thought other manufacturers were longer, but maybe I'm thinking Oceanic......Hmmm.
The owner also said that I need to think larger on bulkheads...at least 1 1/2 inches for the drains, and 1 inch or 1 1/4 inch for the returns/CL.....
Comments?
Nick

NaH2O

Nick, its a RR. The back is not drilled for closed loop. The holes in the overflows measure 1-3/4" and 1-1/4", so whatever the oppropriate bulkhead size is? (I'm so bad with plumbing).

NaH2O

One more thing...the oceanic is 1inch glass on the bottom and 1/2" on the sides.

Maxx

Staff Housemonkey
The holes in the overflows measure 1-3/4" and 1-1/4", so whatever the oppropriate bulkhead size is? (I'm so bad with plumbing).
So are you saying that the tank is drilled from the factory, but no bulkheads are installed? Does it have a center brace?

Last edited:

jks1

nick, I would add 2 inlets to your closed loop stacked on top of each other. I did mine side to side and regret it. Take a look at Nikkis to see.. Other than that looks good. What size pump are you considering for the CL?

Maxx

Staff Housemonkey
Naturally, once the fiance got home, plans changed....sigh...
No more 48Lx24Wx24H....it took up too much room....She is however all about a cube tank.....
so it looks like I'll be going w/ a 36x36x24 cube.....plexiglass might become the only option here.....
Hmmmmm....
Nick

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Wow make even a busy boy, lol. If you're going to go glass I would not drill that many holes into the tank, I think you have to start worrying about structural integrity with that many in it. You can always just drill a couple of holes into the plumbing on the inside of the tank and then cover it using some black acrylic blinds or something to that effect.
cube tank sounds kind of neat though. lol

Maxx

Staff Housemonkey
Mike,
Can a 3 foot cube be plumbed w/ a MBV closed loop? I realized today that I'd be running into the same problem I was going to have w/ the 58 gallon since its a 3 foot tank. I do have a plan to swing things back my way though........
The big issue was space....a tank that was 30 inches in width, (w/ 9 inches of space for MBV closed loop) stuck out too far into the dining room she said.....
However, a 3 foot cube, (which was already okay'd by the boss) sticks out just as far.........
Gonna re-arrange the dining room, and tape out the foot print on the floor.......see if I can pull this off......
Nick

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
Nick, Just tell the little lady that in the big reefin scheme of things, a dining room table really isn't necessary. That frees up space for the 120 gal. A coupple of tv trays and your set. Problem solved.:D
Uh....... If you have to go with a cube? Check out Paul Hamby's (Fragman) awesome reef. The ocean motions still might be a good option for ya. Just another 2 cents.;) .............Scott

Maxx

Staff Housemonkey
Good to hear Mike
...The plans for gently leading her into allowing me to have a larger tank failed miserably.......evidently my smooth talk and debonair ways stopped working when we moved in together and started sharing a bathroom......(I dont even wanna know what some that stuff is for!!)
Hmmm.....she said I could go w/a cube type tank.......would 3 1/2 feet by 3 feet by 2 feet be better for closed loop space Mike?
(42Lx36Wx24H)
Nick

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.