Quantcast

Plate coral (Fungia sp.)

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

kevinpo

Expert
Here is a macro of my plate coral. I feed it small pieces of meaty foods twice a week. This coral can be kept under lower light and is a fast grower. It likes low to medium water flow. A great first coral as it is hardy.

Regards,
Kevin

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
Plate corals are one of my favorite. I have one that looks very similar to yours, I also have this one pictured below. I really love the structure and how their flesh fluoresces.

Dr B

Do Plates need a substrate to sit on, or is it possible to keep them on a barebottom tank?

Darrell

hey Kevin do you feed it right near the mouth or anywere in the tentcals ? i just got one hes green but havent feed him yet
darrell

kevinpo

Expert
You can feed them anywhere but they have to work less if you place the food near the mouth.
One other note if you feed often be prepared for some fast growth. They can double in size in 90 days.

Regards,
Kevin

Scooterman

Administrator
Plates, so many! I eat on them often, oh yea, Corals, I Love Plate Corals & I have none at this time. Is there particular ones that are favorable to a reef and friendly with other corals?

kevinpo

Expert
I have not had a plate coral divide or form buds. Some times they will seem to die then form small buds all around the edge of the disk. These then can be cut off through the old skeleton and will grow to form new plates. I have purchased these small buds from one of my customers and grown them into full plates in less than 6 months.

Regards,
Kevin

Darrell

now i now this may sound rookie(witch I am) but isnt there so call plates and then disks or are they the same i know when i purchased mine it was call a plate and had very log tentacals there was another next to it called a disk and it was mostly all skelaton with small tentacals is there a diffrents.Desolas's looks more like a disk to me than a plate.Well ill watch how much i feed this thing and hopfuly it will repoduce its like haveing another anemone,even the clown host to it
Darrell

Beeba

I was planning to buy an anemone for my percule clowns but read that it may not be the best idea in a reef aquarium. Someone told me that the clowns will be happy with a long tentacle plate coral. Does anyone know? I do think the plate corals are great but I'm so new at this that I hate to make a move with some instruction.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MzWeazelle

I've been warned that clowns can cause too much stress on a coral if they decide to host there.

I decided to go with an anemone and right now I have a bubble tip I'm waiting to see if my two clowns pair up with it. No guarantees, but I like the anemone anyway! :)

Beeba

I bought this long tentacle plate coral a little over a month ago and it did great for a few weeks. When cleaning my tank one day I got too close to it with the vacuum and I put a tear in it. Two weeks later it seems to be dying gradually. (see picture below) Is it possible to save it? If not should I take it out of the tank now?

Alice

Take care when placing plate corals; they are capable of movement which can result in falls from the rock. They also will sting other corals with which they have contact.

Darrel;
Disk and Plate are both common names and are often interchanged. Long Tentacles are *Heliofungia sp.*, the others are *Fungia sp.* Both from the same family, though. :)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts