Quantcast

Plumbing a 75 gal

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

MINIATUS

I have a 75 gal tank that I need to drill for an overflow. Can I get away with 1 line or should there be 2.How far down from the top would be best. What size of line will I need to handle a Mag12 return pump. Also what size hole would be needed to handle the bulk head(s)
Thanks in Advance.

MINIATUS :?

MtnDewMan

Are you going down to a sump? I forget how much flow a Mag 12 can push out, but if you are flowing around 800 gph, I think a 1" bulkhead would be sufficient. If more flow is required, then a second 1" bulkhead would be a good idea or a 1.25" bulkhead even.

If you have a corner overflow box, go straight down the bottom of the tank to the sump.

MINIATUS

MDM
It will be going to a 25 gal sump. I was hoping to avoid drilling 2 holes so going with a 1 1/2 drain might be the better way to go. What in your opinion would be the smallest pump I could get away with if I can't get the whole drilled to fit the larger size hole.

MINIATUS :?

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Min a mag 12 is a good pump for a return pump. A 1 inch drain line hole will handle 1000gph. so you could get away with a 1nch going down and 1 inch going up. If possible try to get a 1 1/2 for the drain line that way your ok drain wise to upgrade in the future.

Mike

MtnDewMan

If you go with a 1" drain, you would want to stay in the range around what me and Mike said ... 800 to 1000 gph ... with a 1" hole. If you go with Mike's recommendation, you will have a TON of capacity with a 1.5" ... not sure if that is what you want going to a sump with a 75 gallon tank. Maybe a 1.5" hole in the back for a closed loop, but I doubt you will push 2500 gph through your sump ever on a 75 gallon tank.

Mag 12 is a good submersible pump ... you could go with an Iwaki MD55 for an external return pump.

MINIATUS

What size hole would it be to allow for a 1 1/2 bulk head. The only place that will order in drill tanks has a size limit. Just some of the disadvantages when dealing with Canadian Suppliers. Also what flow can a 1 1/2 line handle

MINIATUS :!:

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Min the reason I suggested a larger hole is purely for any future concideratons, so if its not in the stars then it is not a requirement. A 1 1/2 drain will handle between 1800 and 2000 gph. Min you have to get the bulhead prior to cutting the hole, thier are many different BH's that are for the same size pipe, an example with 1 1/2 Bh's can range from 2 3/8 to 2 5/8 to 2 3/4. I use the schedule 80 grey bH's and it wants a 2 5/8 hole.

hope it helps

mike

MINIATUS

Thanks Mike
I will have to find out the biggest hole that the tank manufacture can drill.
Do you know anyone in Canada that would have these bulkheads.
Maybe I should also rephrase something else. I dont plan on upgrading later. But I will be using 2 SQWDS for the returns on the 75, so what pump might be better the 12 or larger. Im trying to make room in the sump to put a small Fug in to grow pods for the main tank. There fore I hope to avoid using two pumps.

MINIATUS :oops:

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Min check with plumbing supply companies for the BH's. Ask for the schedule 80 bh's. On the mag it should be enough I know i you get to much flow with those things they tend to chatter, but you might ant to ask some one that has one to make sure.

Mike

MINIATUS

OK
next question, what size pump would be best for a 75 gal. It would have to drive 2 SQWDS and 4 outlets(see Attached)

MINIATUS :)

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Min I would stick to that 1200 You might want a little bigger but you have to worry about pulling water out of the sump to fast and creating bubbles. If you could get the 1800 and put a ball valve on it, that way you could push it wide open see if the bubbles happen, if they do just close the valve a bit until its ok.

MIke

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.