Quantcast

Plumbing and design questions?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

sharks

OK I’m getting closer to moving the tank into the basement. It will go in a wall with it’s own room for filtration and a frag tank. I made a little picture but I have a few questions and wanted to throw it out for feedback and suggestions. In this move I will finally get to hook up the chiller and Ca reactor.

First question?
How cool is the water coming from the chiller? If I feed the REF off that line do you think there will be any problems? I don’t think it’s a problem but while I have your attention ;-) This will be a closed loop line with sea swirl returns.
I am going back and fourth with the sea swirl vs. Tunze system.
The basement is so cold I doubt the chiller will even kick on.

Next I would like to add either a 75 or 120 into this picture. (Probably the 120)
How should I plumb that in?
My little Lifereef sump can’t handle the water from both so what to do…
I was thinking of tying in another sump. I could drill both and run a 6’ pipe down low between the 2. Should I just ditch the Lifereef sump and use a larger tank?

Here is a pic of the room.

sharks

And here is a pic of the tank design without the frag tank.
Not sure how I’m going to tie it in so I had to stop playing in paint :)
I will be building a shelf over the Ca reactor and chiller to hold it.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Hey Sharks.
The way you have it drawn up its not a closed loop on the chiller plumbing, with the refugium inline it becmes an open loop. Regardless, I see a couple of things to think about. One is that the chiller usually needs slow flow, as the longer the contact time in the chiller the better it works. Second dumping it into the refugium is probibly not a good plan. With the water changing temp so rapidily and so often I think its going to be hard to keep stuff alive in thier. One last one to think about is the heat that the chiller gives off while engaged, that back room might get pretty hot.
I would plumb the chiller just in and out of the sump with a small pump. Then do the same for the refugium.

Good luck

Mike

sharks

Mike thanks for the input and suggestions :)
I took the advice from you and others and redesigned AGAIN
I’ve been working long hours to get the demo and construction done ASAP.
The room has grown and I will be adding a register and return from the building HVAC unit. I am also considering a vent like those used on a clothes dryer vented outside to ease the moisture issue in the basement.
So here is the new and larger plan for the room.

sharks

And a redo on the plumbing. It seems that I need more and more pumps for all the different “loops”. One main pump to run the tank through the RR plumbing. One for the Closed loop to an oceansmotions 4 way unit for the main tank. (2000GPH) One medium internal pump for the skimmer. A small PH to run the Ca reactor. Another pump to run the frag tank. And lastly one to run the REF. (Gravity fed down into the main tank)
Clearly I am needing a larger sump so I’m thinking 5-6’x18x18. I will need to get most of the components into the room to make final decisions but it’s closer to what I need.
OK so again I ask…

Do you see any issues with what I have here?
Are any of you running the oceanmorion wave makers?
I see a lot of positive feedback on them. What would be the difference between this device and a MBV? ( Motorized Ball Valve) Other then the MBV costs more.
All input is appreciated and taken into design considerations so thanks again ;)
S

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts