Quantcast

Plumbing/flow design for 50G glass?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Llarian

I've sketched out so many ideas for this bloody thing, and can't figure out which would be best for the life of me.

The idea of a manifold off a "closed loop" pump sounded great, but I don't see any easy way to work that around the overflow and sump return with decent sized piping.

I'd like to avoid a lot of unsightly powerheads, but I'm not certain that's possible with the amount of room I have to work with.

So, what would you reccomend? Its a standard sized 50G AGA tank. The plan is to keep SPS. The only flow I know I'm using so far is a Mag7 return from the sump.

Aiming for around 40X turnover, which means either a lot of small powerheads (ugly and obnoxious), or a couple largers ones (Even uglier, hard to get good random flow from stream intersection)

I'm at a loss right now. Any suggestions?

-Dylan

wrightme43

I am considering for my tank a sea swirl with a eductor from aquatic ecosystems. The pump I have is putting between 900-1000 gph into my tank, and with eductor it pulls in 5 gallons for every gallon pumped. I would have a flow greater than 4500 gph in the tank with that. In a sweeping back and forth motion. I have seen them at work and have been very impressed. The local fish store has one on each end of 3 different surge tanks, and the flow is nothing short of amazing. I am going to go with that or two tunze with a controller. The sea swirl is cheaper by a long shot. Just some thought of what I am rolling over in my mind. Steve

Llarian

I've looked at the SeaSwirls as a definite possibility.

With 90 degree oscillation, it seemed it would make the most sense to have one in each corner so you can have it sweep the entire tank without using a Y-adapter. I didn't think about combining this with an eductor, although with the size of the eductors being what they are (4" or so I believe), that's a pretty big ugly object to have sweeping through the corners of your tank. =)

However, taking an 800gph or so pump and T'ing it off to two seaswirls w/ eductors should get somewhere around 4000gph or so. (Honestly, too much for my tank, but a smaller pump would work fine for that as well)

Thanks for the idea, that's not a bad one at all. Keep them coming! =)

-Dylan

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
You know Dylan glass tanks are tough, specially if you dont like to look at plumbing and dont want power cords it in. Have you ever looked at the wave2k corner unit??

Mike

Llarian

That's interesting. No, I hadn't.

The form factor of the corner unit is such that it eats up a pretty big chunk of tank. That would make it impossible to run 2 of them, which I suspect would be necessary for getting reasonable coverage of the entire tank.

I wonder how well a single center unit would work? Its 16" wide, which is 1/2 the width of the tank. If there's a break in the rockwork in the middle to allow water through, I would think that it would provide a fairly decent flow throughout the tank, but I don't know enough about fluid dynamics to really tell that.

Thanks Mike! That's another great option to think about.

-Dylan

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Eric B has one in his tank and wrote a pretty nice review of it. It is pretty simple, just drop in and run.

Mike

Llarian

Interesting.

Eric's review isn't exactly glowing. =)

The install/build part is irrelavent, since it sounds like their customer support is good, but he seems to indicate that its completely inadequate for necessary flow for SPS. I wonder if that's a function of the size of his tank more than anything else though.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Yea he has a much larger tank, and just one center unit. With your tank and reverb off the front glass I would think you should be good. I never read his review just listened to him talk about it.

Mike

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts