Quantcast

Plumbing help (Microbubble PITA)

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Illusion

I am having a very bad time with Microbubbles.. They seemed to have gotten alot worse... I went ahead today and replaced all my PVC pipe from the Sump thru the chiller and back into the tank with Braided Flex hose... The Microbubbles still didn't stop... Everything is Flex hose except the return nozzles into the tank and from the bottom of the sump up to the top lip into a 90 Then it goes right into Flex hose and into the Pump.. The only place that I could possibly think that the bubbles could be coming from is the pump but I dont see how thats possible.. The pump is a GenX PCX40

BTW there is nothing in the sump causing the bubbles.. I have the Overflow going into a 100micron Poly filter and the skimmer was turned off to see if the could be coming from that.. No luck.. I am at the end of my rope here... there is nothing else I can think of besides the pump..

Please help if possible..
James

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
It sounds like you have already gone to great lengths to identify the problem. How much distance is there between the drain pipe and your return pump? How far under the display tanks surface are your returns?

I had a few outlets that were sucking air from the surface even though they were 2 inches below the surface. They caused bubbles. If the return pump is submerged I would also try wiggling it around and upside down. Sometimes when pumps are first started they suck air in and for some reason it get's trapped in the housing or something. My submerged dolphin kept causing micro bubbles until I wiggled it and a significant amount of air came out of it. That helped immensly.

If it's an inline pump I haven't any idea... Good luck!

Illusion

Well I think I might have found where the bubbles are coming from.. I am drawing the water from the sump and because its a glass sump I had to go up and over the side and back down... I talked with Pacific Coast Imports the Mfgr of the PCX40 inline pump and they stated that is most likely the cause... Why it would start a a while after using the pump like this who knows... Anyways I guess I am on a Quest now for some sort of Acrylic tank/Sump or someone to drill my glass tank.. I have no Idea about the tank so I have no Idea if its tempered or not.. All I know its a kinda old 29g glass tank...

Thanks again,
James

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts