Quantcast

Plumbing help please

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Forestal

Hello all...

I am trying to come up with a plumbing scheme for my new tank which is currently starting its cycle...

it is a 120 gallon cube with overflow with a 2 inch drainpipe - lots of flow..

I want to have the flow go to 2 50 gallon tubs full of live rock, I am thinking of splitting the flow to them and having an external pump for each sump going back to the tank ~1000-1200 gph with flow control valves on the drain to the sumps as well as the returns... the returns would probably use 1 inch pvc.

i will be using a tunze pump for internal flow rather than closed loop, but want to incorporate the return flow pipe into using for current as well.

thanks for any help.

wrightme43

This is just a thought. It might be better to have both tubs connected at the bottom with bulkheads and a large diameter pipe and just on pump returning water from both of them. The reason I say that is the differnce in flow in and flow out would not matter with one pump, with a pump in each one not connected to the other you would run a risk of pumping one dry and one overfilling if the flow into either one was blocked or changed over time after your origanal setting.
This is just my thoughts on the matter and hope that it helps you. Steve

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Why don't you have the flow go to one tub and then gravity flow thru the other? You would only need one pump then. You could use a Mag 18, I think. Split the return to 2 3/4" pipes at the tank, and use each for a spray bar. Just my thoughts. HTH

Forestal

very good advice...i like it..the simpler setup has fewer ways of being screwed up...this is what i need.

so i would put flow valves on return line and drain.

drain to sump 1 with spray bar...sump 1 drains through bulkhead just below water line to sump 2 and water goes thru bulkhead to mag 18 to 3/4 inch pvc and a y to dual return sites.

is it really that easy? wow.

thanks

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
I think that you could probably put the Mag 18 in the last sump. I don't know, but I think the mag drives work more efficiently if they are internal. A good return pump might be an Iwaki 100. By the time you get it back to the tank, the loss in head pressure on the Iwaki would probably equal out.
I would use the spray bar on the return line to the tank. HTH
Steve,
Yeah, he's my financial guy too, I had to buy stock in the purina company. :D

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts