Quantcast

"PLUS" Lighting

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

rossch

Has anyone ever heard of this bulb manufacturer? Recently, there have been some "deals" on new 175W 10k MH bulbs for $30 from Plus lighting. I have never heard of them. The vendor claims that this company tried to copy specs from Ushio. There is a website for pluslighting.com and it seems to be a chinese company.

Does anyone know if this is a quality product?

jazznreef

be careful. i think the idea of a "holy grail" of cheap lights just hasn't happened yet. tests don't seem to indicate that the cheap lights are all we want them to be. you are welcome to prove me wrong though as i would welcome cheap lights too. i just havent been persuaded yet.

rossch

I buy alot of MH lights for parking lots and such and popular MH lights can be had for $13 each and they are the same technology as their aquarium bretheren. Therefore, it is technologically feasible to produce cheap MH aquarium lighting, but the relatively low volume market of these types of aquarium bulbs seems to be what is keeping prices high.

I agree it is risky, I have not purchased them yet.

jazznreef

i think it has to do with the spectral output. corals have certain needs that parking lots do not. plus, we spend hours looking in the tanks and have our own set of needs. i hope someone figures it out and maybe they already have.

CarlS

Oh I just bought the 175w 20k XM's from www.marinedepot.com. Kept hearing good things about them so thought I'd give them a try. Makes my tank very blue with 2 95w VHO Super Actinics also. Will see how my corals react but I like the 10k's better.

mattseattle

well it's time to replace my 175's and I want something a little bluer than 10k's but think i'll probably just stick with them since i've had great coral growth and all with them.

thanks for the info.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts