Quantcast

PolyFilters?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
I have slight problem. I tested a tank today and found it still has
about .05 - .08 ppm copper present. I was foolish and used some algacide about 2 years back in this tank (silicone seams and plastic Powerhead sucked up the Cu) and becuase I can not determine the speciation of the copper with any test I am unsure whiether or not it is bio-avaible. So as of now, I need to house some inverts in that tank for bit, but I am not sure of the toxicity of this latent copper.

Long story short: Where can I get some polyfilters locally and is this the best option (is thier a more effective resin) ?

-Erik

fishermann

poly filters are REALLY great at getting out copper very quickly, you can actually see them turning blue with copper within hrs. I get industrial strength ones from drsfostersmith.com. Aquaium concepts sold the standard ones, but since they aren't retail anymore i would try blue sieara, other than that marine depot has the regular poly pads.

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
Well folks looks like my test was reading .08 too high.
I tested it on tank water twice then on RO/DI water then on 50/50. It read about .08 on Ro/Di, .09 on tank and .08-.09 on 50/50.

Whew! So the deviation was about about .08ppm. I can handle < .01ppm Cu. Out of the 10ppb I doubt there's a great a deal of it in a toxic speciation. Nothing but happy polyps poking out of that purp tip.

WEEEEEE!

-Erik

Last edited:

fishermann

glad to hear things are fine, i'm not sure what is safe levels for corals. i have read not to put in tanks that has ever had copper in the substrate or rock that has been in copper. i have heard of people dong it after using poly pads to get it out of everything, people claim they are that good at removing copper. good luck

iamjosh

Seams I saw a poly filter that attached to powerheads, can't seam to find it anymore. If you know what I'm talking about I'd love a link.

thanks,
-josh

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts