Quantcast

Polyp extension

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

BCT182

Yesterday I got a tri-color and it has not had any visible polyp extension. My question is this. My water quality is good so is it stress from transport? Stress from the poor tank conditions from the tank it came from? The only thing I have not done is ran carbon in a few months. Any ideas? I should add that all my other sps is out and looking healthy. Maybe this is normal and takes time????? All I know is I got a frag of slimmer from Dang last week and the same night the polyps are out.
Brett

Angelscrx

Import Fish
What is your lighting compared to where it came from? Mine took about 24hrs coming from MH to PCs and it is doing fine now.

bradreef

always kidding
could be light, water movement, stress, red bugs or other parasites. try and eliminate as many of these as you can.

BCT182

No red bugs. High flow. Came out of a tank using tap water. Light was alot more than what I have. 3 250w halides. I used RoDi water but only have 1 175w halide and 2 55w actinics.
Brett

Katchupoy

to early to tell... let it adjust first...
even if you have the perfect water quality but still big difference from where it came from.... then it will still need to adjust...

be patience... take it slowly... it will show up...

NaH2O

Hey Brett, keep your eye out - have you checked after the lights are off for a bit? Give them time to adjust, but remember polyps extend for a number of reasons. I don't know if you caught this thread, but there is some good info: Polyp Extension = Happy Corals?

Let us know how they do!

BCT182

Hey I just noticed something. I was looking at it, trying to find red bugs and I noticed there are 4 crabs hanging out in this colony. Each about the size of an eraser head. Three are smooth and cream-ish in color and one is kinda brown and looks like hes covered in short hair algae. Keeping in mind that this colony is about the size of half of a tennis ball, could those guys moving about cause the polys to stay retracted? Also, are they hurting anything like tissue? I had heard they keep the deep spots is the colony free from detritus.
Brett

Angelscrx

Import Fish
Can you get pics of the crabs? The smooth ones could be acro crabs but the hairy one I would get rid of. A thread on here talks about them being bad and I am glad mine was in the sump when I found it. My emerald creab was banished to the sump as well. Seems like most people feel that any crab is a bad crab so they get rid of them. I don't see an issue with true acro crabs they do as you said "they keep the coral clean".

gobie

dave the gobie
You Best Bet Is To Pull Them Out Mos Times Hairy Crabs Are Trouble. If Nothing Else Isolate Them In Somthing Till You Can Find Out What They Are.

TDEVIL

does the hairy crab look like this one, this one got banished to the Stomatopod tank when i actually found it eating the polyps of one of my acro's, for the longest time i couldnt figure out what was wrong with that acro till i looked at the coral late at night and saw this crab take the polyp off the tip of the acro, now i didnt actually see it eat the polyp but it was clear that it took the polyp off of the tip, maybe it just didnt like the polyps

the hairy crabs dont stay in the tank but i have never had a problem with the smooth shelled ones, they are part of the Xanthidae family

here is a link (pg #2)
http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/main_pages/faq_rock1.htm

Jay

BCT182

Thanks for all the help guys. Your the man Jay! That is the crab in my acro. The one you posted a pic of.
Brett

The Apprentice

Crabs In my SPS

Thanks for the Link to this Jay I have Discovered 3 little crabs in my sps tank In the past 2 weeks here is a couple of shots I cant tell if he is a good or bad one the other 2 I have not been able to get shots of

the hairy crabs dont stay in the tank but i have never had a problem with the smooth shelled ones, they are part of the Xanthidae family

here is a link (pg #2)
http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/main_pages/faq_rock1.htm

Jay[/QUOTE]

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.