Quantcast

polyps not out

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

mattseattle

i need advice. this is the first time this has happened to my zoo's in the 2 years i've had them.

about 5- 10 polyps are not opening and haven't opened for 2 weeks. they look alive still but just not extending. also i've noticed that it looks like a polyp or two a day or adding to the total.

i haven't noticed any fungus or any nudi's on the polyps. the only thing i've seen is a bristle worm living in the cluster. i don't know if this is causing them to not open or what.

any advice would be appreciated. sorry i can't take a picture as my digital camera was lent to a friend who is in london.

mfinn

Surgeonfish
Have you added anything to the tank in the last few weeks that could have imported a preditor?
In addition to nudibrachs, there are sundial snails and another tiny critter called a sea spider. The only time I have seen the sea spiders is when I have done a freshwater dip and they end up in the bucket.
The only time I have seen these nudi's is when they are in the bucket also, or on the glass in the morning before the lights come on.
Some people say they can see them on the polyps.
The best time to see them is a few hours anfter the lights are off. Flashlight and a magnifing glass.

mattseattle

i hadn't added anything up to the point where the polyps started closing. i did add 2 corals 2 days ago but the polyps not extending has been going on for 2 weeks. so i can't contribute that to the recent addition.

i've been looking in the early morning hours as well as evening hours after lights off and couldn't see anything.

i think i'm going to break down that rock pile tomorrow and do a freshwater dip on that zoa rock. i need to trim them anyway and it gives me an excuse to re-aquascape that part of my tank.

what do you add to your ro/di water to do a freshwater dip? and for how long?

mfinn

Surgeonfish
I use Seachem Reef Buffer to bring up the ph of the water to that of saltwater thats in the tank. That and same temp.
I have read threads about other people using a few drops of lugols io per gallon also flatworm exit.
There is a very good thread on rc in the zoo forum about dips. Should contact the person to post it here. Very good info.
I do my dips for only about 3-4 minutes. I used to do it longer, but I seemed to have a higher mortality rate with the sick zoo's.
Also I swish the zoo rock around in the freshwater violently, to shake off any really tough nudi's

mattseattle

well i dismantled the left side of my tank. took out the large rock with the green/blue colony. trimmed some of the zoo's off that i wanted removed. after that i did a freshwater dip for about 4 - 5 minutes. the only thing i found in the water was 2 rather large bristleworms. no nails, no nudis, nothing that i could see with my eye anyway. i did notice the zoo were growing over sponges.

took about a day and a half for the zoo's to come out fully but all the polyps are back out.

thanks for all your help.

Electrokate

What was the circulation like? I got a friend's collection after her powerheads gave up and she didn't notice right away (BIG tank) the polyps didn't open for weeks. Aimed the return from a filter, a few powerheads at them for several minutes or constantly each day, moving them around a bit. At first little caps of stuff came loose off the tops of the polyps, In a week sheets of mucous and debris came off, another week later they were all open. They looked completely dead, and it took a while for them to open and another while to get the color back. I think the lack of circulation was to blame, could be wrong. She said she tested every parameter except phosphate and calcium which she didn't have a kit for, and everything looked normal every time and the corals were fine til the powerheads quit.
Kate B
Oly WA

mattseattle

yeah i thought it may have been flow as well at first. but they were swaying back and forth on that rock. it's a rock where 2 of my powerheads current collides and creates a random current.

after about a week or so the polyps are back out....now another set of polyps are not open but they look like they are reopening. so i am not sure what's going on but they look healthy.

spongebob lover

flea whisperer
Hey Matt dood well right now i'm going through the same situation.
i've been keeping my zoos for about year and a half and until now, they just open half way for some reason, at first i was blaming the colonial hydroids but i saw only 1 little one in there.
I've been reading this :p, and i think i'm gonna give it a try :)

mattseattle

mine finally straightened up but i still on occassion have some that won't open for a day or two. guess it's just the way they are....they are growing and spreading. :)

spongebob lover

flea whisperer
yeah mine are all over, the problem is their skirts/ tentacles won't come out, so i'm gonna try what you did and see if it works dood :).

spongebob lover

flea whisperer
hey dood i forgot to ask you
when you did the dips, did you put them back in your display tank?
i'm asking you this because i'm gonna try doing it today but before i do something i wanna make sure i don't screw it up :p .
and did you end up adding anything to the water and how much did you add?
Another thing is, like i said pretty much all my rocks have zoos, one rock also has a devils hand leather as well, do you have any ideas how can i do this without hurting my leather?

mattseattle

hey doodette....

yeah, i dipped the zoa rocks in ro/di water. it was only ro/di water in the container that had been heated up to the same temperature as the tank. i then took the zoa rock and dipped it in the bucket and swirled it around for a while and let it sit for a bit.

with the one with the devil's hand i would try to position the rock so you could dip only the zoa part. if that isn't possible then you could use a turkey baster and just squirt ro/di water onto the area several times. maybe that would work.

matt

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts