Quantcast

Poppa Shrimp and crab surprise!!!

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
Hey All,

I had to share some exciting news for me! Often times we are amazed or find surprises withing our reef (not all good ones), but I have never experienced two in one day!

Last night I was gazing on a new Cream Yellow Acro colony I acquired after the PSAS mtg Saturday when I noticed a small movement in the center of the colony. I wrote it off as a Pod, but then later saw movement in the same place so I hyper focussed my eyes and much to my surprise it was a little crab perfectly color=matched to the cream yellow. I have yet to see if venture from it's lil coral cubby. Crabs always raise red flags with me but the fact that this lil guy lives in the coral and matches it's coloration I actually think it could be a healthy relationship. (Let me know if you know otherwise)

Later in the evening after playing Halo2 online until the wee hrs I did a quick tank flash-light check on the tank and 20 secs into viewing thousands of lil wigglers were all over the water colum and I saw a pep shrimp climbing the rock then jumping off into the current and releasing the lil kiddos!! It was very cool! Perfect tiny colorless baby shrimp everywhere.. Once the shrimp released all of the babies it spent several minutes removing exoskeleten-like material from inbetween the abdomen. It was really interesting. The fish were all sleeping so I asume predation was minmized overnight however I am sure with out specialized feeding all young will probably die...

I wish I had pics but there is no-way my cam can zoom and spot the crab nor capture the baby shrimp in a way that doesn't just look like particulate matter.... :(

snobanker

jlehigh,

That sounds cool. I've seen at least a dozen brood hatches from my blue damsels. Its really cool to watch all the little fry swim around after. Always at night ofcourse with a light. Oh and hey! quit playing Halo2 till all hours of the morning, my 17 YO son does the same thing.. :lol: .on weekends ofcourse

Angelscrx

Import Fish
Sounds like a little acro crab but can't tell without a pic. Usually harmless and great at keeping the acros clean. I had my peppermints have babies in my tanks and it was awesome. Unfortunately it was while the lights were on and none of the babies made it. Good discoveries for you :D

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
Hey BCT182, my Halo2 tag is "PoppaPig" ;) Check my skills out on bungie.net (or lack there of) What's yours!??

Thanks Angelscrx. I had never heard or seen acro crabs before.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.