Quantcast

Power Compacts

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

gobie

dave the gobie
I had a 55 gal reef tank a couple of years ago that i ran using a ice cap 660 ballast and 4 95 watt power compact bulbs. The tank had a wonderful blue white appearence to it and the corals seem to have flourescence better. i stepped up in the size to a 75 gallon tank last spring and went vho. I am using 48" 110 watt uri actinic and actinic white bulbs. I expected the coals to have a better appearence switching from 10k 95watts to 12k 110 watts. I don't care for the appearence of my tank, it looks pink not blue/ white.
are compact flourence that we use in the hobby rated the same as ones used around the house. where it uses x number of watts and is equivelent to an x watt bulb. so does a 95 watt pc use 95 watts and is equivelent to a higher wattage standard or is that the output of the bulb. can anybody shed some light on the subject?????? :confused:

dnjan

alveopora
Did you have reflectors on the PC's? And do you have reflectors on your VHO's? I don't really think that the reflectors inside the URI VHO bulbs are that good.

gobie

dave the gobie
i haven't used reflectors after the first two years in this hobby they always get coated with salt creep.

gobie

dave the gobie
ihave almost thought about going mh but my tank is lps so i don't really need that intensity of output, pluse the heat and power consumption is more than i care for.

MikeS

The wattage rating on the bulb relates to energy consumption, not output. PC's however, tend to have a higher watt per watt lumin output than other flourescent bulbs due to the smaller tube diameter.

The visual difference you noted (blue vs. pink) is likely due to the phosphors in the different bulbs.

MikeS

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts