Quantcast

Power loss 911

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

BCT182

Ok I got a notice that on Thursday PSE is turning off the electricity for 8 hrs for construction. Will my tank crash?
Brett

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Brent do you have a dsb??. also do you have any options like a small generator??? you have a rental company just down the road??

Mike

DonW

R.I.P.
Tacoma city light will bring out a generator and plug it into the meter. You may want to give them a call and explain. PSE may offer the same service.

Don

mattseattle

PSE told me I'd have to rent my own. I got a notice like that when I was living at my old apartment. They said the power was going out for 8 hours and it turned out to be 16. I went to Home Depot and rented a generator to solve the issue. I wouldn't chance 8 hours without a generator. I'd rent or buy one.....

BCT182

Its not a deep sand bed, its about 2-3 inches deep. How can I run a generator in an apartment? Whats my bigger concern? No heat or no skimmer?
Brett

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Biggest concern is the oxygen. I would go out and get a couple battery powered air pumps. Conserve the heat in the apartment and that should do fine thier. The air pumps and stones will move the water enough.

Mike

mattseattle

you don't have a deck on your apartment? that is where i ran mine at....

like mike said you can get a battery operated pump or an inverter to run a pump.

wrightme43

Don W hit it. If you have the cash a 12 battery, a inverter to 110, and a good battery charger will run your skimmer it will do a lot for oxy if its a hang on the tank type. This all may be moot point from your post this morning. Man that breaks my heart. Dont ever give up. Steve

dnjan

alveopora
I second the battery-operated air pump. I use one of those that plugs into an outlet, and then turns on when the 110V outlet goes dead.

Light isn't an issue (for periods of a couple of days or less), and heat shouldnt be a problem (for less than a day). But oxygen can be a biggie. Plus, the airstone will produce a small amount of current to at least keep the water from stagnating.

BCT182

Quick update on this. Thanks for all the advise guys. What survived the Kalkwasser incident also survived the power outage so all is well there. I bet anything that is still alive after all this will be sought after. A frag that made it through 96 degree's this summer, 10hrs without any power and a lethal Kalk overdose...... SUPER AQUACULTURED! BRETTS FRAGS GUARANTEED TO LIVE IN YOUR TANK! LOL

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts