Quantcast

Predatory habits of BCS

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

OnTheReef

Folks,

So, ever since I put my Percula pair into my reef tank, my BCS has been snapping at them. At first, I thought this was just defensive behavior, but over time I got the impression that it is hunting behavior. Last week, my Percula female starting building a nest hollow in the BCS's favorite cave and now I can't find her anywhere in the tank. This morning, I watched the BCS make three attempts to catch one of my peppermints. Has anyone else had a BCS dine on other tank inhabitants?

Thanks,

OnTheReef

Achilles

BCS get some pretty big pinchers and those aren't for grabbing detritus. Yes, once a BCS gets large enough he could be a threat to other inhabitants. I wouldn't expect him to be able to handle a healthy adult clown though.

aquariumdebacle

electrolyte addict
Claws

Actually the large claws are meant more for display than agression. They are closely realted to the cleaner shrimps. I have seen them "clean" fish. The banding is a signal to fishes that they are open for business. It is different from the cleaner shrimp in direction. The cleaners are true commensals in that both benefit from the relationship. the BS's are not quite as friendly and display their temperment with different banding. The signal is "watch out I might do you a favor or Not." That being said they are arthropods and must be treated as so, anything they can eat they will!

Doug1

They are large and opportunistic, they often clean when small but larger they get more cranky and territorial. They are more efficiant hunters than the smaller cleaner/scavengers IME. Usually OK with large non aggresive fish but I wouldn't trust large ones around small fish :(

Elmo18

Clownfish
Hmm yeah I had one in a smaller 25 gallon tank. IT was very territorial as others have said. It stayed upsidedown clinging on a rock inside a cave. If fish swam passed it, it would isntantly try to swing a claw at it. I finally brought it back when i moved to a larger tank and swapped it for several peppermints.

Other than that, they are very cool to watch. They seem to hunt during the night hours, and actually leave their overhang. Mine did anyway.

Goodluck with yours :)

- Ilham

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.