Quantcast

Prelim stages of closed loop education...(150gal)

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

bc_slc

So I am making the jump to a bigger tank come June and think a closed loop system is the way to go. I am 90% sure IAP is going to build me a 150 (5'x2'x2') I understand the basic concept, but would love to know if there is any advice y'all have learned along the way, such that I can avoid a costly mistake early...

Have primarily been looking at SCWD's, OM's and simple PVC/spraybar ideas. I am, as yet, undecided (weighing cost vs effectiveness vs asthetics.

Thanks in advance,
Mat

wanareef

reefer addict
SCWD's are nice, for smaller tanks. Takes too much energy to activate it = less flow. I'd go with some kind of motorized ball valve to get the flow.
I have an Iwaki 40 rlxt on a 37 gal with a SCWD. The flow is there but not enough.

Basically a CL is one that is continous, with out break. So water is taken from the tank, through the pump and back to the tank by way of some mechanical device of alternating flow.

A spray bar is a good thing to have, to move "junk" from under the rocks try and keep the detritus suspended till it can get to the overflow.

bc_slc

have seen spraybars located low and high in the tank. Low to move detritus and prevent deadspots - High for low flow over large areas (sps in mind).

Any alternatives beyond the SCWDs and OM's? The scwd's don't seem to work as well, and all the motorized ones I have seen are pricey. Anything inbetween?

bc_slc

CL

Lets see how this works. Basically thinking a Mag18 (or sim) for return pump, ampmaster for closedloop and perhaps a 4-way OM.

The Mag18 will be the sole return pump and will T to provide the 3/4" dual returns.

Still not sure on
1) size of return bulkheads for CL
2) size of imput bulkhead for CL
3) size of pump for CL

Here is a diagram....

Last edited:

bc_slc

For completeness sake, was thinking that:
1) Overflow return will face forward and laterally
2) the upper closed loop return will face forward and inwardly
3) The second row of CL return will face forward
4) the lower CL return will be set up to a PVC spraybar.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts