Quantcast

Preparing Storage Containers

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

MINIATUS

Please help
I have 2-60 gal food grade olive barrels. I have bleached ,disinfected them and rinse them 3 times. I still have a very slight smell of olives but not unless you stick your head in the barrel. Has anyone tried this or know for sure it would greatly be appreciated.

MINIATUS:rolleyes:

Scooterman

Administrator
What are the Barrels made if, I think that any porus materials need to be carefully watched, otherwise after all that you should be ok, I guess a TDS reading may also help if you have one.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Min if you bleached them well thye should be ok. just make sure thier rinsed well of the bleach. whats the plan with them??

Mike

MINIATUS

Mike, I want them to store my RO/DI and prepared salt water.
If they work it will save a lot of time.

MINIATUS:rolleyes:

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Yea sounds good, if their plastic and you have bleached thema nd rinced well you should be fine.

I do the same with kalk. by the barrel baby

Mike

Maui1

I save my water in those same type barrels.
Kinda reddish brown plastic?
Have em on wheels in the basement with a pump in it to do the transfer to the tanks.
Works great.

MINIATUS

Maui1 said:
I save my water in those same type barrels.
Kinda reddish brown plastic?
Works great.
Thats them alright. Thanks for the info. At $8. Canadian I should pick up some more of .

MINIATUS:eek:

Scooterman

Administrator
I'm starting to figure all that out, the more tubs, containers the better lol! Just wash well, I had a problem of not doing that, churnd out high TDS readings on a tub that I was continously using.

NeilsReef

I am picking up a food grade 60 gallon barrell from a guy in Portland, it use to house vinegar. So I should be fine if I rinse it well. It was cheap also. I can't wait to store my water in it, verses the numerous containers, buckets and the trash can (rubbermaid) I had been storing my water in.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Yea its actually better to use old plastic barrels then it is to use the new ones. New barrel/buckets are coated in plastisizers (a form of Phosphate).

Mike

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts