Quantcast

protein skimmer pump died - help??

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Shawnna

Joey & Xena are the best!
The pump for my protein skimmer died last Monday - 11/24. I've ordered a new one but it won't get here until next Wednesday - 12/3. What problems do you think I'll have - if any? I have a Fluval 304 - will that be enough to handle the load until the skimmer pump comes? Should I do water changes daily?

FYI - I do not have a DSB. Any insight you have or suggestions for managing this until the new pump comes would be appreciated!

:?:

OnTheReef

Re: protein skimmer pump died

Shawnna,

First off, let me reassure you by saying that I started my 55 gallon reef with nothing but a FluVal 304 and did not run a sump or protein skimmer until the tank had been up for about two months and I started adding more sensitive organisms. The tank did well, though it's certainly doing better with a sump and skimmer. In the intervening time before your new pump arrives, there are some things you can do:

1) Keep running your sump and return pump so that your sump doesn't "die." This will also clear any surface scum which might interfere with oxygen exchange.
2) Add a 10" bubble bar to the tank right next to your overflow. This will perform a small amount of foam fractionation.
3) Feed more lightly than you would normally and remove any uneaten food from the tank about 2 minutes after feeding. This will reduce the amount of unprocessed protein matter being dissolved into your tank water.

Hope this helps,

Eric

Shawnna

Joey & Xena are the best!
Thanks so much for the quick reply. But....

I don't have a sump (or overflow). Just the Fluval 304.

Other than reducing the feeding, anything other ideas?

OnTheReef

Re: skimmer pump died

Yes, you might consider picking up a cheap air-driven skimmer at Petco or Petsmart to use until your new pump arrives, though most of these are designed to be used in a sump. To add to your peace of mind, you might do the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate tests and then do a water change if it seems warranted, but it sounds as if your tank is healthy and you needn't worry too much.

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
Yeah I wouldn't sweat it really. Maybe cut back on the feedings, but a week isn't a big deal. If your skimmer stays full of water, like my Urchin, you will want to flush the water out of it before starting it back up as it may foul by then.

G~

Super Gobie
just make sure your canister filter stays clean, and maybe do a water change. other than that i would not sweat it either i have run many a tank without a skimmer for a week.

G~

Elmo18

Clownfish
I do not think you will have problems. I run my tanks skimmerless (ok ok dont bash me now), and run with macroalgae refugiums.

What I can suggest, if you will feel more secure, is to do a small water change, until your pump comes.

- Elmo

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts