Quantcast

Pumps for my new tank

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

big t

tankless
Hi all

Well I am planning my 90 out and am just about ready to order some pumps. Anyway this is goint to be a sps and clam dominated reef. I was planning on using a amp master 3k for a closed loop. As far as the return pump I am undecided. I have decided to go w/ the Iwaki line, but as far as which one I am unsure. So to all the pro's out there, how much additional flow should I run from my return from the sump. This tank is going to be a bare bottom tank so sand blowing will not be an issue. I was initially thinking of a 1200gph return pump but thought I would gather all your thoughts. So common, help a brother out.

MtnDewMan

For a 90 gallon I don't think you would need 1200 but it is great if you can get it through the sump with no microbubbles. I would think 750 to 900 would be sufficient through the sump, minimizing the microbubble concern while still getting 10x movement through the sump.

big t

tankless
Thanks chuck

Microbubbles are not a concern for me, I am going to build a really bad a$$ sump, that WILL catch every last one :D. My only concern here is too much flow, but I suppose I could always dial it back if I had to.

MtnDewMan

The one other area of concern is to make sure your clams have a place where they don't feel overwhelmed by flow. That disturbs them at times. Usually it isn't a problem to find someplace in the tank that the clams will like :)

Keep us posted.

Ray Pollett

"I was planning on using a amp master 3k for a closed loop."

How much does this pump? If much at all You may have way too much for a 90 gallon.

Wow Just Found the Amp Master 3000 it pumps 3600 gallons per hour. Way too much for a 90 by itself. IMO

Ray

big t

tankless
Thanks for your opinion, but is not too much imo. Just ask MtnDewMan, who is running one on his 75

fishermann

I run a mag 900 insump for a return on my 75 andmy clams are doing just fine. I stepped up from a 700 to the 900 when i changed to the berlin system over a yr ago to get the increased water flow for the skimmer to skim

saltwater-nut

I know of some full on SPS tanks that run 35x flow. FWIW, one cannot have too much flow for SPS corals!

With that being said, you dont flow blasting the tissue off either.

IMHO
Roy

Alice

So is the sump as big as the tank? ;)

Are you dividing the sump into chambers and are you T-ing the skimmer off of the return?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.