Quantcast

Pure Caribbean Aragonite...white film won't come off glass?!

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

skylsdale

I just filled my 30 gal up a few days ago and put just a fine layer of Pure Caribbean Aragonite down (maybe 1/4" or so to cushion the LR a bit). Anyway, there are what appear to be hard water deposits on the inside of the glass, but I think they are just the dust from the substrate somehow attaching to the glass where water lines were when I was filling the tank. It's a bugger to try and wipe off, and even though I did it this morning it's coming back again.

This substrate is pretty silty--finer than anything I've used before. Has anyone had this problem as well? Was a constant problem, or did it eventually go away?

mattseattle

mine eventually went away. i did have the same film as you are describing but alot worse. i had foam also on top of my water which stuck to everything and turned it white. i used an old sock that was cleaned and used it to wipe down the inside to get it all off. it was a chore but finally came off.

skylsdale

Glad to hear it's not just my tank. I've got a scrubber pad, but it's still an absolute pain to try and scrub it off. Was it as hard for you just to get it off the glass? Glad to hear it will go away, though.

mattseattle

yeah it took a little work to get it off. i made the mistake though of pouring some of the sand through the water instead of completely draining the tank. i think that is what caused my problem because when i originally put my sand in it was completely drained and i didn't have the same issue.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.