Quantcast

Purple slime on my sand?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

E

eel2663

I have a strange purple slime growing on the surface of my live sand. I have tried to remove it but it breaks apart and gets mixed into the sand and just makes a mess - what is it? How do I get rid of it?

Beeba

Sounds like the same problem I had a few months ago. It was cyanobacteria. I syphoned it off my sand with a small tube held about 1/2 to 1" from the sand. I did this every few days when it would start to bloom again. After about 1 or 2 weeks it looked dramatically better. Check your phosphate level. I had high phoshates when mine bloomed. For several days I tested everything. I found that my fill water didn't have phosphates but after mixing it with salt it did. I thought it was the salt but after one more test I realized it was the dechlorinator. I changed dechlorinators and now my phosphate level is getting lower every time I do a water change.

This thread might be of some help. Algae Problem

Last edited:

MINIATUS

I just went thru this about a month ago, I did a good water change syphoned all I could of the sand and turned the lights out for a few days. Someone had told me to dose some kalk will help to kill it off, and it seemed to work. JMHO

MINIATUS:rolleyes:

E

eel2663

Thanks for the help

-I do use tap water- I will try siphoning it off the sand and dosing with Kalkwasser. I think my phosphates are high, I tend to get alot of algae blooms on the glass that is very difficult to scrape off. I have tried different phosphate buffers/sponges but nothing seems to work-

eel

MINIATUS

EEl
I think the best investment you could make is to buy a RO/DI system.
Something else that is better than nothing would be a Tap water filter but is only good for about 100 gals of pure water.

MINIATUS JMHO:rolleyes:

DonW

R.I.P.
If you stop feeding it it will stop growing. A rodi system will help. Syphoning it off will help. Kalk will precip. phos but may cause other problems (high ph). You have to look at the big picture, its not going to be just one thing with a quick simple cure.

Water, salt, chemicals (dechlor), fish food all play a part.

Don

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Hi eel and welcome to Reef Frontiers. Alot of salt mixes contain Phosphates that is probibly why you are experenceing some on the new SW batches. As mentioned above most of the time P comes into the tank via input and food is the main one. What are you feeding your tank??

On a side note the use of kalk will cause Phosphates to bind with calcium and come out of solution as a solid (good thing) but with in 24 hours bacteria will once again disolve the solid and free up the Phosphate once more (bad thing)

take care

Mike

E

eel2663

Thanks again

I changed my salt to the red sea brand the last time I did a water change about 2 weeks ago and the red/purple slime has been there since, I had never seen it before. As far as food goes, I have been consistently feeding my fish Ocean Blend for 6 months- It is a frozen food I buy from a guy here in Coeur d alene - I think he makes it.

E

eel2663

oops

Sorry-
I get my food at Inland Ocean. It is in Hayden Lake just north of the corner of Government and Hayden ave. I bought the salt at Oceanview? It just opened in Spokane- kind of downtown on second street I think, I was checking out the store and needed some salt. I really think the change of salt had to do with the cynobacteria, I haven't changed anything else and the slime showed up right after I did my water change with the new salt.

I usually buy my fish at Inland Ocean and my corals at Aquatic Dreams.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts