Quantcast

Putting oyster shells in tank?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

MzWeazelle

Went to a family bbq tonight and picked up a bunch of oyster shells from dinner. Thought I'd use them in the tank since my ever expanding mushroom family seems to like shells to latch on to. Am wondering if there is any reason NOT to use them. I've cleaned off as much flesh as I could and boiled them to remove as many contaminants as possible. Anything else I should do?

Elmo18

Clownfish
Hi Mr. Weazelle. I kind of did a similar thing, except it was those large scallop shells I brought back from East Coast Massachusetts. What i did first was to get a clean scrubber and scrubbed down the outershell. Soaked it in warm water over night with some vinegar. Took it out rinsed it, and boiled it for a couple of minutes. Before putting them into my tank I soaked it in normal tap water again for a day.

Should be ok to use.

- Elmo

reefer

I've got Abalone shells in mine. I soaked them in fresh water for about a month to kill off any salt water critters. Never have had a problem.

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
Oyster shells are notorious for leaching Phosphates. Soak the shells in RO/DI water for at least a month. Replace the RO/DI water after a month and wait a few days and run a Phosphate test on the water to see if they are still leaching.

MzWeazelle

Hmmm ... lots of interesting thoughts!

Elmo - I can see your idea there, as odd as it may sound. Unfortunately we have a sealed tank, so that's not an option.

Looks like I better find a nice, out-of-the-way place to stick a bucket of water so I can soak the shells for awhile.

As for the phosphate testing. I understand that phosphates are difficult to test for, and the results are iffy at best. Is testing really worth the bother?

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
Originally posted by MzWeazelle As for the phosphate testing. I understand that phosphates are difficult to test for, and the results are iffy at best. Is testing really worth the bother?
Testing for Phosphates is quite difficult in a reef tank because they are quickly sequestered in the algae or LR or sand bed or bacteria. Testing water in a bucket is a lot easier assuming the plasticizers in the plastic from the bucket is not affecting the results....it all depends I think on how old the bucket is.

Last edited:

NaH2O

Elmo, that is an interesting idea, however, here in the midwest, our tap water is horrible. I wouldn't want to get a drop of it in my tank. RO/DI soaking would be better for this part of the country.

MzWeazelle

Water definately varies from place to place - even from one area in a city to another. We have a whole-house filter to keep junk out of the pipes, and a "drinking-water" filter on the kitchen sink. I know it's still risky, but we use water straight from the tap for our tank and have had no trouble so far. I'd like to get our water tested, both what we have before it gets filtered and after, to see what the quality is like. Any way to do that inexpensively?

NaH2O

hmmm.....if you have a TDS meter you could read the solids present prior to your filter and after. There are also some test kits that work on fresh water, too. Unless you are on a well, your local water company should have an analysis available for its customers. I made some RO/DI yesterday, and my TDS reading going into the unit was 498. Algae would love my water :)

MzWeazelle

Nikki - no TDS meter and I suppose they don't come cheap, lol. We aren't on a well, so I'll have to see about asking our water company what kinds of testing they do or provide - thanks.

I'm running two 250 MH about 8 hrs a day and two 4' actinincs plus two 4' regular fluorescents on a 140 gal tank and I don't seem to have much trouble with algae, so maybe my filtered tap water isn't too bad.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts