Quantcast

PVC PLUMBING

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

R

RHINO7

Help I just made a sump for my tank (which has been running for just over a year (fowlr) with no problems) and suddenly shrimp and 2 fish dead and its not looking good for others. My water tests ok for ammonia,ph,nitrite and nitrates . My thoughts are that the primer and or glue for the pvc pipes has leached into water, is this possible and should i have attatched pipes differently??? :?:

MtnDewMan

It is very common to use the purple PVC primer and PVC glue to put together the plumbing for a reef tank. I doubt that it was any leaching that caused the problems you are facing.

What kinds of things did you do within the sump? DSB? Any spikes in levels occur prior to you testing it maybe? New live rock or anything like that in the sump? Was the sump cleaned out with any leaching chemicals?

R

RHINO7

I did put a 4# piece of live rock in sump, and did not clean sump with any cleaners. my only other thought is i didn't have temp of water added to sump to the 77 deg temp of aquarium and maybe this shocked em? my bad ?

R

RHINO7

Next thought ?? If it was the glue/primer will this stay in my live rock forever like copper????? anybody with any ideas

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
Specifically, which glue did you use?

If you did not let the glue fully cure before running water though it, it could be your problem. But it's unlikely.

How cold was the water added, and what size of tank and sump is it? If you brought the temp down fast enough I could see it killing inverts, but not as likely with fish.

Did you use saltwater or freshwater in the sump, was it RO/DI water or tap water? If you accidentally used freshwater instead of saltware the rapid salinity shift may have done it.

The solvent in the glue will not stay in the water if that is what happened, it will eventually evaporate out of the tank, which it probably already has if that was your problem. If you think that did it, I'd run some carbon and leave the tank alone for a week or so before adding anything.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts